Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buff blobs somehow
The lot in life of your average blob is to be discovered almost immediately after it spawns, then to have every wall between it and space RCDed while it's nucleus quickly gets lasered to death. It is the most unfun and easiest to kill of the current antags, and rolling blob on anything but a low pop round pretty much ensures your death within 4-5 minutes after appearing. This is not fun gameplay.

My suggestion: make blobs controlled by multiple people, one master who gives orders and oversees evo points and such, and 2-3 people who are responsible for spreading the blob, attacking at the edges, et cetera.

Alternately remove blob from the rotation until it's reworked to not be awful.
git gud From what I've seen, whether you succeed or not resides on what location you pick and whether you're lucky enough to not get seen.  Try to pick a place no one really goes to (off the top of my head, I never go to the observatory.  Ever.)

Blobs don't need a buff, trust me.
I think even in places where nobody go, you can still be heard spreading from populated places nearby.

If anything, it would maybe want a little boost at start. A boost that is good considering what you have when starting, but gradually gets useless when compared to the other boosts/upgrades you can get later on.

I'd gladly get good but the few rare times I get to play blob I'm almost always found rapidly, and helplessly witness my death.
A blob that's discovered quickly is really easily taken out, yeah. On the other hand, a blob that goes unnoticed until it gets its second nucleus up is pretty much unassailable barring explosives and telesci shenanigans. A small buff to bio points generation while under a certain size might help, but again blobs snowball really well.
I'd say buff blob's starting survivability and nerf it's end game. As it is now, you generally either dominate because [reasons] or you get killed early because [reasons], but the best rounds are found in the middleground.

Of course I say I want it to be less binary, but I have no idea how to make it so. Sounds like a pain in the ass.
How about: The further a blob tile from the main blob core, the higher the biopoint cost/delay, lower for blob tiles and reinforcements visible from it. Losing the main core would cripple the blob's growth so it can't just keep placing cores down.
Also, if a blob tile has no link connecting it to a nucleus, it would begin taking damage over time and would be unable to spread until a link is reestablished.
(05-27-2017, 10:55 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Also, if a blob tile has no link connecting it to a nucleus, it would begin taking damage over time and would be unable to spread until a link is reestablished.

Woah, great idea. It encourages the crew to think tactically about how they attack a blob, and makes larger end-game blobs slightly easier to beat.
dumb omj idea #17
what if blobs were able to randomly mindslave someone three tiles away from them once per round? they wouldn't pick who it'd be and be limited to only one. could add a whole new dimension!
(05-27-2017, 10:55 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Also, if a blob tile has no link connecting it to a nucleus, it would begin taking damage over time and would be unable to spread until a link is reestablished.

I actually really like this idea
Agreed with the concept of buffing blob start but nerfing blob mid-lategame. The finer details of how to achieve that I'm still weighing up though (keep discussing it please).
(05-27-2017, 10:55 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Also, if a blob tile has no link connecting it to a nucleus, it would begin taking damage over time and would be unable to spread until a link is reestablished.

This is a good idea but strikes me as difficult to code (in a way that remains performant, given blob is already fairly laggy).
i don't really know much about blob and i've never played as one but here's my thought garbage

What if blobs had some equivalent of the soulguard spell that wizards get, such that if they died early on without spending much time or resources they would be able to try another angle of attack later on? I expect that the blob comes from BAD BACTERIA that mutates inside the station because of plasma or some such science, and if it's a blob round, I would expect it to have taken root across the entire station and not localized to a single area in its early stages. Of course, this would have to come with some sort of nerf to the blob's power after it grows larger.

edit : or maybe base the 'respawn' on a bank of nuclei that the blob has. and if they want to, they can spend more than one 'life' at once and just place nuclei on different parts of the station and get a command to jump between them?

Also, any sort of stealth power for a blob might be interesting.
What if, on spawning, instead of getting to place their free tiles, the blob suddenly explodes outwards to that many tiles, trapping any unfortunates nearby inside? (and possibly auto absorbing them as well)

The floor tiles explode with (color) goo, trapping you in place!
(05-28-2017, 12:42 AM)MyBlueCorners Wrote: Also, any sort of stealth power for a blob might be i smilie with a protruding tongue nteresting.

Expanding through the disposal/mail pipe system?

Let's you burst out at new spots, but the system can be purged with a flush or two. Could spray out a bunch of blob pieces when flushed