Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is creepy?
Walrus Wrote:I encourage you to actually read the thread, instead of bringing up the same point over and over.
it's the same point over and over because you never actually address it: it's completely impossible to remove or even significantly reduce the amount of potentially creepy shit potential in this game.

"well so what do we do about creeps?"

Ban them. This appears to work well because the last time I saw one was months ago. You wanna know what game feature he was using to be a seriously creep motherfucker? The ability to talk. Would the fact that he was saying seriously creepy-ass shit have been enhanced if there'd been crunchy nipple messages involved? Probably not.

that said the hugging thing is funnier so replace the nipple thing with that but not because of anything this guy said
Don't change anything, bring back poo, and hug a bee, this is how life is.
Sam Guivene Wrote:bring back poo

fuck off

anyway, im all in favor of the hugging yourself thing. its honestly more amusing than nipple tweaking, and serves the same (basically nonexistent) purpose
Regardless of the reasoning, it seems the consensus is that Hugging yourself is better.

Is that correct? Can we put this argument to rest now?
Sam Guivene Wrote:bring back poo
"Feature X COULD be used for creepiness!" is a thing nobody is really seriously concerned about, let's stop arguing about slippery slopes please. Dumb old joke features that are kinda borderline already, by design, are worth discussing. Changing one thing doesn't mean everything else is going to change too, and occasional changes like that aren't done at the expense of new content.
I really don't find this discussion very fair, I'm writing all of this shit and nobody bothers reading it.

Dauntasa Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:I encourage you to actually read the thread, instead of bringing up the same point over and over.
it's the same point over and over because you never actually address it: it's completely impossible to remove or even significantly reduce the amount of potentially creepy shit potential in this game.

Weird, because I directly responded to you when you said it the first time, but you just ignored it. Here, let me read the thread for you:

Walrus Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:the fundamental idea of removing things from the game because they allow weird/creepy behavior is entirely futile simply due to the number of things in this game are both important and long-standing features and also have the potential for unbelievable creepiness.

This is a great response to an argument that nobody made.

Firstly, nobody is advocating to remove Nipple Tweaking because it allows weird/creepy behaviour, Nipple Tweaking is something with sexual connotations that is coded into the game. Because of this, there is no need for a player to twist or manipulate the mechanic into something else for it to be creepy. Nobody's going to start hounding the admins to remove harm intent because sadomasochists exist, so please cut the whole slippery slope thing where everything fun is going to disappear overnight because Nipple Tweaking was removed. Secondly, this feature is neither important nor long-standing, so we can all rest easy knowing that the game is not going to be fundamentally changed because of the removal of Nipple Tweaking.

Now, I may be stretching here, but in the one in a million chance you didn't read what I just quoted above, let me explain once again.

Removing Nipple Tweaking does not fall under "potentially creepy shit" because it has sexual connotations. People don't need to twist it into something creepy like they would have to with something not inherently sexual, eg. farting, talking, throwing money at people etc. Therefore, there's no crazy slippery slope of every feature being removed because of it's "potential" to be creepy. The potential is up to the player, and those players will be banned.
If this good thread ends with the removal of the funny nipple tweaking emote I will end someone

That said, I have been saying "crunchy racist nipples" to thin air for the last five minutes and laughing, so my taste, maturity and stability may be questionable when it comes to these things
Walrus Wrote:Therefore, there's no crazy slippery slope of every feature being removed because of it's "potential" to be creepy.
I'm not saying it's a slippery slope, I'm saying that the goal in mind is completely impossible. You can't remove all the creepy shit from the game, there's too much of it and even without it people could still be creepy.

Like, you're saying it has sexual connotations. Sure. You know what else has sexual connotations? Drugging someone and stripping them naked. That's not gonna get removed from the game and neither are any number of other things, so why remove this one? It's completely pointless.
Dauntasa Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:Therefore, there's no crazy slippery slope of every feature being removed because of it's "potential" to be creepy.
I'm not saying it's a slippery slope, I'm saying that the goal in mind is completely impossible. You can't remove all the creepy shit from the game, there's too much of it and even without it people could still be creepy.

Like, you're saying it has sexual connotations. Sure. You know what else has sexual connotations? Drugging someone and stripping them naked. That's not gonna get removed from the game and neither are any number of other things, so why remove this one? It's completely pointless.

drugging someone and stripping them has a purpose. drugging them likely makes them unconscious, and easier to murder/move to a secluded area to murder/absorb/bite for blood. these are all things relevant to antagonist roles. drugging people can also cure disease (see: beserker).

stripping people removes their access to items. this is useful if youre a traitor and A) need an item they have (nuke disk for example) B) need to stop them from using an item (ie if they're a traitor who has a dangerous weapon) or C) need to stop them from yelling over the radio (if youre a traitor/changeling). you could remove a couple items to do these, sure, but it's easier to just mass-click everything in the list than look for where a couple items are. plus, you need a feature to remove items from a corpse, lest they get trapped on it for the rest of the round.

nipple tweaking's only purpose is to embarrass the user. there are much better ways to do this (read: hugging yourself) that don't have sexual connotation behind them.
Dauntasa Wrote:I'm not saying it's a slippery slope, I'm saying that the goal in mind is completely impossible. You can't remove all the creepy shit from the game, there's too much of it and even without it people could still be creepy.

I agree with the idea that you can't remove everything that could be considered creepy or could be used to be creepy. I didn't raise that point in the first place, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up. Remember how you established that, arguing to that non existent person in your first post on the subject?

Dauntasa Wrote:Like, you're saying it has sexual connotations. Sure. You know what else has sexual connotations? Drugging someone and stripping them naked. That's not gonna get removed from the game and neither are any number of other things, so why remove this one? It's completely pointless.

Even if you can't remove every single thing that is creepy (ex. fundamental game mechanics like: stripping people's clothes, drugging people etc.), if there's something that is creepy, and you can remove it (because it is not a fundamental game mechanic), then why not? Just because you can't get every last source of creepiness doesn't mean that you shouldn't remove sources of creepiness when you have the ability to.

Remember that part where I said to read the thread? I don't think you have, so read the goddamn thread, holy shit. I already went over this nearly exact same point replying to your first post.

Walrus Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:the fundamental idea of removing things from the game because they allow weird/creepy behavior is entirely futile simply due to the number of things in this game are both important and long-standing features and also have the potential for unbelievable creepiness.

This is a great response to an argument that nobody made.

Firstly, nobody is advocating to remove Nipple Tweaking because it allows weird/creepy behaviour, Nipple Tweaking is something with sexual connotations that is coded into the game. Because of this, there is no need for a player to twist or manipulate the mechanic into something else for it to be creepy. Nobody's going to start hounding the admins to remove harm intent because sadomasochists exist, so please cut the whole slippery slope thing where everything fun is going to disappear overnight because Nipple Tweaking was removed. Secondly, this feature is neither important nor long-standing, so we can all rest easy knowing that the game is not going to be fundamentally changed because of the removal of Nipple Tweaking.
Walrus Wrote:...in the one in a million chance you didn't read what I just quoted above...
One in a million chance, huh? I should start buying lottery tickets.
Walrus Wrote:Even if you can't remove every single thing that is creepy (ex. fundamental game mechanics like: stripping people's clothes, drugging people etc.), if there's something that is creepy, and you can remove it (because it is not a fundamental game mechanic), then why not? Just because you can't get every last source of creepiness doesn't mean that you shouldn't remove sources of creepiness when you have the ability to.
Okay, so you want the game to be designed around a nebulous and inherently subjective concept with a fundamentally impossible goal in mind. I would like it to be designed around being funny and/or interesting. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Dauntasa Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:Even if you can't remove every single thing that is creepy (ex. fundamental game mechanics like: stripping people's clothes, drugging people etc.), if there's something that is creepy, and you can remove it (because it is not a fundamental game mechanic), then why not? Just because you can't get every last source of creepiness doesn't mean that you shouldn't remove sources of creepiness when you have the ability to.
Okay, so you want the game to be designed around a nebulous and inherently subjective concept with a fundamentally impossible goal in mind. I would like it to be designed around being funny and/or interesting. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Funny and interesting are also subjective.
Dauntasa Wrote:Okay, so you want the game to be designed around a nebulous and inherently subjective concept with a fundamentally impossible goal in mind. I would like it to be designed around being funny and/or interesting. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Did i just open a fucking portal to another dimension here? What on earth are you talking about and what does it have to do with anything I said in that quote? I could have sworn they said they weren't going to give HeadSurgeon a forums account to post with.
I personally still don't see what's so creepy/sexual about nipple tweaking.

Like I said, when I google'd "nipple tweaking" the vast majority of the results I had were about breastfeeding and various other things related to infants/mothers.

I had Safe Search turned off, by the way.