Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydroponics Feedback
that one I can explain!
Recently plantpots were found to be hogging quite a goddamn lot of cpu resources (which we still haven't entirely resolved, but still) so what I did was make them calculate on every other tick, rather than every tick.

To explain that a little, the game has "loops" for various things - player characters, machinery, lighting, etc. It's basically a big list of everything of that type that the game iterates through, basically checking up on every thing to make it carry out it's instructions constantly. Plantpots are in the machine loop, which means every time they come up in the list they carry out instructions called a process - there's quite a lot of stuff in the plantpot process, so whenever each plantpot gets it's "turn" in the list, they have a lot to do before they can move onto the next one. Since there's a good 8-10 plant pots, it results in a lot of cpu being taken up, which can contribute greatly to lag.

So what I did was make the plant pots skip every other turn, and doubled the numbers of stuff like amounts of reagents they consume or the odds of particular things happening to compensate for the fact that they're not happening as regularly anymore. In addition I made them update their icon every sixth tick, meaning plants may be in a different condition to what they visibly appear as. I did make them update immediately if a new plant was planted or a plant died however.

This may lead to some slightly odd behavior from the plant pots, but they should be pretty much functioning as they usually do.
ISaidNo Wrote:-snip-

So what about when you get a slurry pod that wants to burst in one second
That's dealt with in a totally seperate thing. Slurrypod bursting and radweed shining shouldn't be affected at all.
im gonna go ahead and move this to and merge it with the hydro feedback topic so i can have it all in one place, also while im at it:

Captain_Bravo Wrote:I apologize if you're not still looking for suggestions, but this is the single most aggravating thing to me when it happens, and I'd feel remiss if I didn't bring it up. Trying to compost spare seeds and accidentally chucking important harvests in the damn thing fucking kills me. Is there any way we can get an overhaul to the composter? Even something as simple as giving it the same ability to distinguish stuff as the produce satchels? Being able to drag seeds into it, and only compost seeds would go a long way towards improving hydroponics, especially with the increased importance of composting with the updates.

this is fixed now
i probably claimed this was fixed before but forgot to code any kind of fix for it at all
So how do we tell what our water levels are at when the sprites never update?

Literally i've played botany like 3 times in a day and i could not find a way for the plant sprite to advance past its first stage or tell me what the water was like, i had to manually check all the plants and guess if they needed water, usually killing them.

I know that the sprite changes when you plant or take out a plant, but how the hell do i actually know how healthy my plants really are?
There's a thing in your botanist PDA to scan plants, and there are Plant Analysers in the vendomats. I think they do water levels, I'm not sure.
Weavel Wrote:There's a thing in your botanist PDA to scan plants, and there are Plant Analysers in the vendomats. I think they do water levels, I'm not sure.

I've been using my PDA the entire time, it only tells you a vague hint of if your water is too high or too low,

what happens when your plant is not deathly ill or too watered, and you can't tell when you can water it to keep it in good condition?
Anticheese Wrote:1) The generation on hybrid plants keeps resetting
2) Hybrids made from a mutant plant splice do not produce the mutant's chemical.
3)Hitting the water tank with a can twice gives this message
4)When one plant in a strain gets a gene strain, all of the other plants with the same common ancestor harvested or not.
5) Special plant nutrients are taken up at an absurdly slow rate.

1) I figured you're basically creating a "new" seed so the generation should start over. Thoughts?
2) This is.. sort of intentional via neglecting to think about it? I'm not sure if mutant plants being spliced should pass their chemical along or not - generally the chemicals you get out of mutations are much stronger or more powerful than regular plant chemicals, so allowing you to get it by default in a hybridized plant seems like it could get broken really fast. Again, input would be appreciated though.
3) I'll have a look at this. It's probably just not rounding properly.
4) Are you sure? I'm pretty sure there's no way for a strain or mutation to be retroactively applied to produce you've harvested from the same plant.
5) This is likely the result of slowing down the plantpot's processing but failing to account for a couple of things here and there. Also because of the way the game mechanics work, the more different kinds of reagent you have in the plant pot, the slower each will be taken up due to the mechanic for it basically tries to remove however much it's told to remove equally from all reagents. Say I told it to remove 1, and you have 5 water, it'll just remove 1 water. If you had water and compost, it'd remove 0.5 water and 0.5 compost to make up the 1.
I just make it so harvest yields are capped to 30. A yield over this amount will result in better chances for an extra harvest for fruiting plants, and plants that die after one harvest get a health bonus instead.
ISaidNo Wrote:-snip-

1) I get that a hybrid plant is an entirely new plant, but the generation counter doesn't increment whenever planting seeds from a harvested hybrid plant.

2) I can appreciate that standpoint, but it just comes across as a bug. What if you try turning this feature on and seeing how it works in practice? If it doesn't, add a message regarding the mutant strain when splicing?

4) Dead sure. This has happened a bunch of times, and I've got no idea why. I haven't tried in about a week, but I should have some more free time to test it again tonight.

5) This was an observation made before plant pots were slowed down.
Can you make it so that renamed seeds show that name on the hydroponics trays, and harvested seeds?
Going back to the seed generation thing, I just spliced bananas with lemons and oranges, yielding a generation 4 plant. When I spliced the seeds from that with lime, the resulting plant was a generation 3 plant. The third generation of hybrids only counted as generation 1.

There's definitely something funky in the generation counter. Its pretty cool that I can make triple citrus fruit now, though.
New bug: When a hybrid orange (banana D + lime r->hybrid banana D + lemon r-> hybrid banana r + orange D) is juiced in an extractor, it only yields potassium, unless you take a bite out of it first, in which case the reaction message for triple citrus displays, and it comes out in the juice.

Hybrid bananas with triple citrus do not appear to have this glitch.
I love all the new botany stuff, but there's still one vital thing missing. We need a mutation, or a splice, or something you can pour in a plant pot to infuse fruit with alcohol. I spent a couple rounds slaving over Hydroponics trying to find some way of making a drunk fruit, to no avail.
Fruit should be able to rot, and when rotten certain fruits get you a little drunk because fermentation, and this should somehow tie into the bartender's fermentation machiene, maybe with that getting a new update.

#FermentationGate