Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give security belts
I agree with this.
I don't get why balance gets so much attention in a case like this. Maybe my opinion is shit but I don't think SS13 is a game about cops fighting bad guys. Balance is important because unbalanced aspects of the game tend to get run into the ground, but it's a secondary consideration at best, something to be worked out by trial and error. Flavor items and features are what make the game and their addition shouldn't be precluded by hypotheses about how they will affect balance.

Sec officers being able to save a few clicks and drags by not having to use their internals box for everything isn't going to break the game somehow. The sprite is done and looks pretty nice, the rest is just a matter of getting a coder to take interest.
Jerkops Wrote:Sec officers being able to save a few clicks and drags by not having to use their internals box for everything isn't going to break the game somehow

Right? I guess if security officers can save a few clicks and have a few more slots to carry some more cuffs or flash bangs without have to waste time clicking and dragging they are OP

shrug
It's because of a general shift in the game. Once upon a time, someone who actively hunted antags as sec was frowned on. As in someone who spent their time looking for antags whether people were calling for help or not. Now you have people who will nonstop hunt antags wearing a pair of galoshes and a stolen beaker box full of chems making HoS. Once upon a time, winning wasn't the objective, now every fun item that gets added gets run into the ground by people trying to powergame, for lack of a better word.

It's made it a lot less fun than it used to be to be antag.
Ok now your just being silly
vampirate Wrote:It's because of a general shift in the game. Once upon a time, someone who actively hunted antags as sec was frowned on. As in someone who spent their time looking for antags whether people were calling for help or not. Now you have people who will nonstop hunt antags wearing a pair of galoshes and a stolen beaker box full of chems making HoS. Once upon a time, winning wasn't the objective, now every fun item that gets added gets run into the ground by people trying to powergame, for lack of a better word.

It's made it a lot less fun than it used to be to be antag.
This is true if you travel backwards in time. It's true if you have no idea how things functioned in the past, it's true if you're lying just to make some kind of a point. But the ACTUAL TRUTH is that in the past if you gave any kind of hint that you were an antagonist you got spaced or permabrigged, hell we even had a permabrig! You have no idea what you are talking about, you have no clue, what the hell.
Also no, once upon a time winning WAS the objective, how do you get every single thing wrong?
Hufflaw Wrote:You have no idea what you are talking about, you have no clue, what the hell.

To be honest that sums up almost all of vampirate's post for this past month.

Seriously I don't know why you feel why a security belt that pretty much acts like the box except for some minor changes would make security so OP it would break the game completely. I just can't fathom that logic. Even Houka who said he did not like this idea said he would not mind if it got added. Alot of experienced security players and other Head of Security players have said that this is a terrific idea but you treat it like it's the most broken thing to ever be consider to be added into the game
Add a security belt, permabrig anyone who whines about them in game, thanks.
vampirate Wrote:Once upon a time... a shovel (for digging)
you seem to have an extremely short or selective memory for someone who I'm pretty sure has been playing this game for a while

I will tentatively agree with you about the HoS list, though imo that isn't a recent trend and it's just a few isolated instances
Jerkops Wrote:I will tentatively agree with you about the HoS list, though imo that isn't a recent trend and it's just a few isolated instances
that being said, this isn't the subject of this thread and has very little bearing on anything being said here
Ed Venture Wrote:
Hufflaw Wrote:You have no idea what you are talking about, you have no clue, what the hell.

To be honest that sums up almost all of vampirate's post for this past month.

Seriously I don't know why you feel why a security belt that pretty much acts like the box except for some minor changes would make security so OP it would break the game completely. I just can't fathom that logic. Even Houka who said he did not like this idea said he would not mind if it got added. Alot of experienced security players and other Head of Security players have said that this is a terrific idea but you treat it like it's the most broken thing to ever be consider to be added into the game

Actually I am pretty ok with the sec belt after we talked about it for a bit, and even suggested it be added as part of a sec upgrade kit or even simply a standalone purchase.

I think as long as it really only holds small items there's not much harm.
I've said countless times thoughout the thread that the intent was so it could hold one weapon and small items. I've gone back on what I said before when I said I would be cool if we had to buy it. Maybe if it was more powerful then suggested but it's not. I think others feel the same as well with me on that.
I like how security threads get 4-5 pages long for ideas that in their core are simple QOL suggestion rather than a balance suggestion.
If sec belts tickle your nerve vampirate, I've a ton of security balance suggestions that would straight up make you vomit.
I think they're fine if they're purchased. Give one for free up front. They unnerfed tasers, the burst taser is a nice tool now. The reason it tickled me a bit wrong is because inevitably there is going to be those sec officers, you know the ones... the ones that take two or three tasers leaving none for others, who abuse the hell out of it. But I think holding one weapon and sec only items could be alright.

I'm not against sec having nice things at all. When I am a mechanic or med director I'll even go in and spawn them their own porto-med.

I think that more than one of the belts shouldn't be free, but honestly I wonder at how many free large beakers chemistry gets, and the huge amount of multitools and insulated gloves just lying around as well.

I'd like to see sec hit up qm and have them belt over the belts at the beginning of the round.

It's not just sec, I feel like a lot of free stuff is given, and it's made a lot of the game zero effort. It's upped the fun in some ways, but diminished it in others.

I'm all for sec getting some fun gear.

I'm also all for reupping the amount of cooperation the crew has to make the really cool stuff happen. Especially as far as qm is concerned.
Quote:It's not just sec, I feel like a lot of free stuff is given, and it's made a lot of the game zero effort. It's upped the fun in some ways, but diminished it in others.

This is not really the topic for it, but I 100% agree with you there. But looking at sec belts: they hold small items, hold one baton OR taser and have a pda functionality (because security use pda's far more than any other department) is again, more of a qol life suggestion. There is literally no room for abuse here. In-fact all this does is encourages officers to have better organised inventory and use their pda more.
For items hidden behind a paywall, Gannets made a thread that crawled down to the bottom of idea's forum where you could have a sec belt+, that could either be bought separately or added as an attachment that could improve functionality of it so it hold both a gun and a baton. That'd would be something I would agree should cost money. Add 4 sec belts in security on a rack, 1 in the hos's locker and that's it. Put a sec crate in qm that has x1 armor + x1 baton + x1 belt for whatever amount of credits and that literally sorts out any sort of issue.