Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cogwerk's Ailments! The end of Crit! A glorious new day!
CPR previously injected you magically with healing drugs.

Now it'll reset the Losebreath status and knock Suffocation damage down quite a bit. How this helps:
Every tick that you are in crit, you take some suffocation damage. This was already the case, nothing new, but I made it scale now instead of being the same rate throughout.

I think of this being like suffocation mixed with hypoxia from blood loss and other systemic issues.

For 0 to -50 health, it'll do one point of suffocation at a 50% probability per cycle. This isn't too terrible. A couple of successful probabilities in a row will hurt, a couple that don't pass the prob check will let you recover a little air.

For -50 and down, you take one point of suffocation per tick. At -100, you go into a coma and flatline but you aren't quite dead yet. The deeper you are, the higher your risk of going into shock or cardiac arrest. Both rapidly increase suffocation rates.

In flatline (heart stopped), I have a check in there for suffocation and losebreath before it raises both of them. If they are both high, brain damage accrues very rapidly. If they are kept under control, brain damage accrues slowly.

Death is certain at ~100 brain damage or -200 total health, and the probability of death happening per cycle between -100 to -200 health is heavily weighted for brain damage. If you have someone doing CPR, it'll slow or stop your progression into crit and it'll negate a lot of the damage from the cardiac events. Salbutamol and Perfluorodecalin will also help a ton.
I know alot of other servers have pressure included in code, similar to cold or oxygen.
Instead of this, I think it'd be cool if we could contract an ailment from standing on a space tile too long if ones not wearing proper suits, that's related to pressure damage... instead of just simply burning.
Even more interesting is pressure damage in space isn't as much as one would think, and you certainly wouldn't get physically damaged like you do in other servers.
An intresting read:
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 70603.html
http://space.about.com/cs/basics/a/bodyvacuum1.htm
"He later said that his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil."

The ailment would be decompression sickness. If you were 100, and you stood on a space tile, then the time it would take to reach orangered would be the time it kicks in. The indication that you contracted decompression sickness is as so:
The blood on your tongue feels like it is boiling
The symptoms would be joint pains. How this would be implemented in the game would be switching from run to walk randomly:
Your joints ache!
Also vomiting from the vertigo. Because everyone likes vomit.
So while not detrimental to your life, it could be a nuisance. The cure for this, (and in real life) would be oxygen treatment. So Perfluorocarbon? Another use for the stronger oxygenating drug is good right?
Just something to acknowledge pressure while not being totally obnoxious, and gives medical doctors something to work with as space exposure is quite common.
atomic1fire Wrote:If it means there will be grittier ghetto medic things as well, this should be fun.

I can already imagine ghetto medicing up some saline in bar.

It's already fun quickly cauterizing your own missing arm to stop the bleeding.
In pursuit of this, adding salt, pepper, and sugar shakers to the bar would be logical.
Sundance Wrote:The blood on your tongue feels like it is boiling

Oops that should be saliva on your tongue.
Sorry for the dp.
This all is so glorious. I'm going to recommend my friend who's studying to become a nurse give the game a check when it's out.
Idea: what if Medbay has a stock of bloodbags, one for each player at the roundstart, with their spaceman's name on it. Ostensibly it's in case they need a blood transfusion(from toxin ailments or bloodloss), but it can also be used to check a particular person to see if they are a changeling by comparing a bloodbag sample to their current blood.

Also it'd give vampires another reason to break into medbay, a target for changelings to destroy to cover their tracks, and a distraction clever traitors can use to send people on the path of vampires/changelings while they do their traitor thing.
I don't see why bloodbags have to be player specific. Can't they just be different blood types? It's high time blood types actually play a role.
It would actually be pretty interesting if it was per player, and you had to scan either their retina or ID to access their blood. If they aren't in the database thats a sure fire way to know they aren't from round these parts.
Embolism Wrote:I don't see why bloodbags have to be player specific. Can't they just be different blood types? It's high time blood types actually play a role.
I agree, bleeding has already been added. Maybe make blood loss a whole another type of damage like Brute/tox/burn. Unless someone else has a more complicated method that fits into the new system.
Someone else was already working on blood transfusions.
I guess everyone could have a "blood volume" stat, which determines your maximum health. The implication of this is that damage which doesn't involve blood loss can be fully recovered from, but damage associated with blood loss can only be recovered by restoring your blood volume. Would make surgery to stop bleeding much more urgent since medikits and medibots can't do anything to help.

Blood volume could be recovered by using saline or blood, but past a certain level of blood loss saline ceases to have an effect (like how food stops healing you past a certain damage threshold). If you lose too much blood you'll start going into shock, starting with signs like becoming pale, clammy, having palpitations, etc. and eventually resulting in hypoxia and arrhythmia.

Blood transfusion recovers blood volume faster than saline (and works at all levels of blood loss), but must be properly matched: if you give say AB+ blood to an O- person a haemolytic reaction will occur, leading to a quick death (only blood bag transfusions can cause this: the amount injected by syringes is too small).

To go with this, a player's blood group should be randomised at the beginning of the round instead of being settable. Otherwise everyone will choose to be AB+ so they don't get haemolytic reactions. Oh, and there should be a way to donate blood too!
Embolism Wrote:[snip]
Oh, and there should be a way to donate blood too!

Make selling blood plasma a thing so QMs and Assistants can afford batman capes easier.
david2222121 Wrote:
Embolism Wrote:[snip]
Oh, and there should be a way to donate blood too!

Make selling blood plasma a thing so QMs and Assistants can afford batman capes easier.

Yes. Please make this a thing.
Oh hey I didn't quote the thing I wanted to earlier, oh well.

Embolism Wrote:I don't see why bloodbags have to be player specific. Can't they just be different blood types? It's high time blood types actually play a role.

I was hoping that we'd be able to re-enact that scene from The Thing, where it destroys the blood supply so they can't compare its blood to the old samples. That and so you'd know if Norman Bleedwell is dragged into medbay with Hypervolemia(took me like ten seconds to decipher this word. latin Argh!), you'd have a bag of blood you know he won't reject and die from.

Maybe let people retag the bloodbags as well for shenanigans.
david2222121 Wrote:It can also be used to check a particular person to see if they are a changeling by comparing a bloodbag sample to their current blood.
Instead of forcing the already overburdened BYOND engine to juggle ~40 different types of blood, why not go with the standard blood types, but retain the feature. An encounter might go as follows:

Medic picks up health analyzer to scan the blood-loss victim
In the case that the patient was just another stupid crewmember, the analyzer would spit out the data "Blood-Type: B+"
In the case that the crewmember was a changeling or had been given powers by genetics, the analyzer would spit out the data "Blood-type: B+ [mutated]"
Medic would grab the B+ blood bag if the guy seemed legit, or call security if he didn't, and all would be fine and dandy in either case.

I figure this would work best because it doesn't immediately show the crew that "Hot damn! This man is a changeling!" as it leaves a range of doubt, and it would also make health analyzers actually a bit more useful, as well as not being too much of a burden on poor old BYOND.