Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mozi's Fav foods n' Buffs concept
(05-02-2016, 11:22 PM)Grek Wrote: Going to put the breaks on the bandwagon and say that job based food buffs are fucking dumb. The idea of people having favourite foods and getting a buff for eating their favourite food is good (but likely hard to code), but the actual proposed benefits are basically just a bad idea.

"but likely hard to code"

I actually wrote a really crude and awful proof of concept last night to play around with this, and it's actually not too hard to pull off. All you need to do is cram a few if/else statements around the codebase and jam some extra mutations into the bioholder, or one simply use the traitholder if you want to go /real/ fancy.
Ok, so looking at the genetics code I'm imagining a mutation for each job that picks a random food off of a list of acceptable favourite foods, and then handles applying the buff once the person eats some of it. But that seems like you'd need to assign favourite foods on a per job per round basis, ie all medical doctors this round crave elvisbread corndogs. Doing it on an individual basis would require a mutation for each favorite food which then checks for job once the food is eaten. Which is doable I guess, but means a lot of copypasta because there are a whole lot of foods. Plus it means redoing the entire system when and if the codebase ever moves to a less recipe-based cooking system, ala the current cakes and sandwiches which are actually fun to cook. But yeah, you could code it in if you really wanted to.

But again, why would you want to? People change jobs all the time in SS13, either via the HoP or by stealing someone's ID. Tying the benefit of food to your roundstart job doesn't make sense in that light.
You are overthinking this to the max grek.
It's more like this:
- Assigns random favorite food to the individual at round start
- Checks job at round start, assigns buff.

That's it.
And when the time comes that it moves to a less recipe based system (hah like, never), then as I stated prior to this thread, nothing would change that much it would just use it quantitatively. But that's thinking too far ahead, why would you even think like that, nothing would get done.

Quote:"But again, why would you want to? People change jobs all the time in SS13, either via the HoP or by stealing someone's ID. Tying the benefit of food to your roundstart job doesn't make sense in that light."

People actually don't change jobs all the time, I play HoP alot. And if they do, they are not forgoing their buff, it simply becomes less use to them. If an engineer changes to become a medical doctor, if he knows his shit he's still going to be a good MD, but if he chooses to eat, he'll get the burn buff, which is still pretty handy.

I don't see where your coming from at all grek.