Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redesign the HUD
Do you have PSDs or similar?
Somepotato Wrote:Do you have PSDs or similar?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lavwytfw9lv0k ... e.psd?dl=0

Feel free to experiment with colors.
Although I like the layout of Rocket's design, there's a problem I have with it that I tried pretty hard to fix with my first HUD design.

Every element has a really ugly radiant gradient on it, so there's a lot of colors that never get used again, and in general it just looks too crowded and overly detailed. I think just flat coloring looks a lot more tasteful. Otherwise, the only small things I don't like is that items are intended to be transparent over it, which I think is pretty pointless and also a bit ugly. The other is the tabs having the corners cut out, which just looks kinda unneeded and too gimmicky for me to like.

Other than that, I prefer it to my HUD 1, but I would also like to maybe get the elements I put together for 2 and use them on your design.
Hm
I was going to redesign the hud myself, but after seeing rockets effort, I think we should build off that rather than starting from GO collect 200$.

I think we should aim for simplicity and darker colors, like quilty said, make it inoffensive as possible. Bearing the darker colors in mind, I think we should use quilty's HUD 2 color scheme.

As far as transparency goes, balls in the coders court. I think we SHOULD use transparency, the more we can see the better. When i'm playing I often have the backpack and inv tab closed/minimized so I don't essentially have a blindspot on my bottom and left hand side of the screen. Having some sort of transparency would be a very good QOL addition. The reason i'm saying it's a possible coding issue is that while i'm sure the HUD itself could have some transparency, i'm not 100% sure if items on the hud will behave in a similar manner.
Since everybody seems to be building off of the current interface I went ahead and broke it into it's individual components and saved it as a psd. (Read: I was bored)
> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2711879390

I might get bored enough to actually do something but I'm not sure how byond works. Is it a large pain, for instance, to make buttons that span past 32px^2? Or buttons that lie between tile-lengths? I know you can make multiple buttons per 32px^2 tile, but is there something I should know about them before trying? It'd help those who are not well versed in byond-fu to have some of it's common UI shortcomings listed.

If I try, I'll probably break from the current UI a good bit. I, unfortunately, realized this after I made that psd. v
[Image: EBVQrOm.png]

That's the latest revision of my HUD idea. Some stuff from my first and second designs, and some stuff from Rocket's.
I love it. It's refined, cleaned and dark so your the color of your items and intent will catch your eyes.
Vitatroll Wrote:Since everybody seems to be building off of the current interface I went ahead and broke it into it's individual components and saved it as a psd. (Read: I was bored)
> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2711879390

I might get bored enough to actually do something but I'm not sure how byond works. Is it a large pain, for instance, to make buttons that span past 32px^2? Or buttons that lie between tile-lengths? I know you can make multiple buttons per 32px^2 tile, but is there something I should know about them before trying? It'd help those who are not well versed in byond-fu to have some of it's common UI shortcomings listed.

If I try, I'll probably break from the current UI a good bit. I, unfortunately, realized this after I made that psd. v

My general stance on this sort of redesign thing (see also: popups) is that you can just design whatever you want. Imagine a world where you can do (almost...) anything and design the best gosh darn system for that that you can. I will take that design and turn it into functional code as best I can. It's a lot easier to work with something I have to cut down than add on to.

As for your specific questions: Yes buttons can be whatever size and lie at whatever position, that's easy peasy.
The new hud is fucking ace. For Science!