Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longer Rounds?
Sundance Wrote:wordjo
AH, AH, AHHHHHHHH!!!

I come from a time when people called the shuttle at exactly 45 minutes, because there was a traitor objective tied to exactly that, but I don't particularly think that this is new
Quote:<efrem> i dont have any input on round length because most of my experience was when rounds would last for "70" minutes(actually 2-3 hours)

But Roomba, I don't recall anyone aside from EdVenture, who painted it as "Heh get owned nerds Heh.", getting yelled at for calling the shuttle with no reason after a certain time.
Most of the admin action I've seen towards making longer rounds has been occasionally one of us saying "Longer rounds would be cool."
Hufflaw Wrote:
Quote:<efrem> i dont have any input on round length because most of my experience was when rounds would last for "70" minutes(actually 2-3 hours)

to clarify i just meant i have no clue what you idiots could get up to w/ 70 minutes now but back then everything had been done because in "one" minute you actually had quite a bit of downtime to just plan what you were going to do next, leading to very expedient actions when cycles actually happened.

Scrumpys Wrote:I would like to see why some admins want longer rounds and their reasoning behind their decision.

second this particularly in regard to nuke-ops even though i don't play anymore. i get the idea behind the round continuing with new antagonists but part of the reason rounds need to restart is to give people who got chumped at 3 minutes a chance to start playing again and maybe even get to be the bad guy for once. if both servers go until the crew decides it's time to leave and there's always a slew of new antagonists with incentive to stop a shuttle call(because they just got here and hey, i haven't even murdered anyone yet stop calling it!!) then you've removed the goto fallback - "go to the other server" - because now there's even less of a guarantee that the round on another server will be fresh.
Gannets Wrote:Most of the admin action I've seen towards making longer rounds has been occasionally one of us saying "Longer rounds would be cool."

That may be, but some players are being punished or insulted for disagreeing with that sentiment through their actions. These encounters are on record in the admin complaint section.
Hufflaw Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:wordjo
AH, AH, AHHHHHHHH!!!

I come from a time when people called the shuttle at exactly 45 minutes, because there was a traitor objective tied to exactly that, but I don't particularly think that this is new

But Roomba, I don't recall anyone aside from EdVenture, who painted it as "Heh get owned nerds Heh.", getting yelled at for calling the shuttle with no reason after a certain time.

Go back to the admin complaint and read it. I had more then one reason for calling the shuttle that round other then "Fuck the telesci nerds". I did not think I had to explain myself that round cause the station was clearly fucked. Guess what the subject was in that complaint? Having all the facts before you call someone at and insult them.
Ed Venture Wrote:Guess what the subject was in that complaint? Having all the facts before you call someone out and insult them.
Fair enough, Ed.
Scrumpys Wrote:I would like to see why some admins want longer rounds and their reasoning behind their decision.

As would I. I've been saying for awhile now that admins should engage in more communication with the playerbase before making big changes. I was cool with longer rounds until they started hurting game modes and the player base as a whole.

I also want to go on record and say if nothing at all is happening by the 60 min mark then it is okay to call the shuttle. I like to have more then one reason to call the shuttle and I like to consider the dead players as well. Most of the time as said above a hour is a perfect length for most rounds.
Convair880 Wrote:Support for this push and all it entails (nerfing existing features, certain upcoming or planned changes, enforcing RP elements etc) is not unanimous, so throwing "all admins" or "all coders" into one pot isn't necessarily representative of the actual situation. And as was pointed out, some of the changes tend to not work well in practice (such late-joining antagonists in nuke rounds) or are peculiar in light of Goonstation's history and player base.

Also if the main reason some admins have been going nuts with the nerfs over the past year was in hopes of making artificial long round then that needs to stop ASAP it is in no way a good enough reason to nerf things.

These "certain upcoming or planned changes" and the RP elements needs to be discussed with the playerbase as well. Not behind closed doors where only certain people get a say in it. Such changes effect every single person who plays on this server. Half of the playerbase here does not like RP elements and as this threads has shown the majority hates how these long rounds are being handled
Ed Venture Wrote:
Convair880 Wrote:Support for this push and all it entails (nerfing existing features, certain upcoming or planned changes, enforcing RP elements etc) is not unanimous, so throwing "all admins" or "all coders" into one pot isn't necessarily representative of the actual situation. And as was pointed out, some of the changes tend to not work well in practice (such late-joining antagonists in nuke rounds) or are peculiar in light of Goonstation's history and player base.

Also if the main reason some admins have been going nuts with the nerfs over the past year was in hopes of making artificial long round then that needs to stop ASAP it is in no way a good enough reason to nerf things.

These "certain upcoming or planned changes" and the RP elements needs to be discussed with the playerbase as well. Not behind closed doors where only certain people get a say in it. Such changes effect every single person who plays on this server. Half of the playerbase here does not like RP elements and as this threads has shown the majority hates how these long rounds are being handled

From what I understand, if new RP elements are added they will be contained on their own server. As for the longer rounds, I personally have never seen a player in favor of them. As seen in the thread, that seems to hold true.
I've heard about the new RP server but I was using that as a example.

When it comes down to nerfs and big changes it really feels like they don't consider how the players are going to react to it. They sometimes go as far as not even including the change into the changelog. Most nerfs don't go into the changelog. This lack of consideration and lack of communication is why the backlashes are so bad and why they are going to get worse. Changes that effect the game in a big way be it nerfs, re-amped game modes and changes to how rounds work effects all the players and should atleast be discussed with the community before being implemented.

You don't like backlashes to your changes? Well we don't like be kept in the dark on said changes.
Hey, I don't speak for the admins by any means, but from what I'd seen, didn't they say they wanted to have longer rounds because some things and neat gimmicks required a longer time to set up, and punishing players who don't want to just take an easy rampage by calling the shuttle because you're bored is lame or somethin'?
BlackPhoenix Wrote:Hey, I don't speak for the admins by any means, but from what I'd seen, didn't they say they wanted to have longer rounds because some things and neat gimmicks required a longer time to set up, and punishing players who don't want to just take an easy rampage by calling the shuttle because you're bored is lame or somethin'?
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that, if your gimmick takes an hour or more to set up and gets interrupted by a shuttle call mid-setup, that's more evidence that you might want to rethink your gimmick than anything else. I'm all for cool tactics and diabolical schemes and the whole nine yards, but surely there's a point where you've gotta say that something is just taking too damn long.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:Hey, I don't speak for the admins by any means, but from what I'd seen, didn't they say they wanted to have longer rounds because some things and neat gimmicks required a longer time to set up, and punishing players who don't want to just take an easy rampage by calling the shuttle because you're bored is lame or somethin'?

That might be the meta reasoning for it, but the in-game explanation generally given is 'unless the station is absolutely uninhabitable via bombing/meteors/blob or a vast majority of the station is dead, don't call the shuttle' when nothing in the rules really suggests that, and so you get people/deadchat silently sitting around and praying for a rampage/mass station destruction so that there's actually some justification for the shuttle to be called. I'm of the opinion that democratic vote is generally a good enough justification for a shuttle call.
I dunno, man. The thing about round length is depending on what your role on the station is, things can feel very different. Playing as a miner or geneticist, I sometimes barely notice the hour pass because it's just such an involved job. But other jobs that rely more on player interaction can suffer once you've talked to everyone or people start dying off. It can be very subjective.

But yeah. Getting killed three to five mintues to a changeling then spaced and having to wait over an hour is no fun. which is why I agree with Sundance here
Sundance Wrote:There's also the issue of why can't the game continue in some form of manner if you're a ghost