Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meteors should come later
babayetu83 Wrote:why not have the meteor shower event and others with the potential to irreversibly wreck the station scale relative to the round time

0-20 minutes would yield in a low intensity storm
21-41 would yield in a medium intensity
etc

Stupid thought but what if the captain - or anyone else with access/logged in could go to the bridge and make occasional 'course corrections' that would lower/avoid things like meteors/black holes. This could either be partially effective (lowering intensity level) or, if lucky, fully dodging it - perhaps depending upon how early they catch it. Another way to approach it would be that course corrections would extend the period of time before the next disaster risk/size threshhold is reached (small meteors might be normally 0-20 minutes but with someone working the system itd be like 0-35).

It shouldn't be a full time job - just something additional to occasionally check up on. And, of course, a traitor with access could steer TOWARDS trouble too.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Make meteors slower and let us fly out in pods to blow em up before they reach the station.

I enjoy this idea a whole lot.
Erev Wrote:
babayetu83 Wrote:why not have the meteor shower event and others with the potential to irreversibly wreck the station scale relative to the round time

0-20 minutes would yield in a low intensity storm
21-41 would yield in a medium intensity
etc

Stupid thought but what if the captain - or anyone else with access/logged in could go to the bridge and make occasional 'course corrections' that would lower/avoid things like meteors/black holes. This could either be partially effective (lowering intensity level) or, if lucky, fully dodging it - perhaps depending upon how early they catch it. Another way to approach it would be that course corrections would extend the period of time before the next disaster risk/size threshhold is reached (small meteors might be normally 0-20 minutes but with someone working the system itd be like 0-35).

It shouldn't be a full time job - just something additional to occasionally check up on. And, of course, a traitor with access could steer TOWARDS trouble too.

This might be viable for Destiny.dmm, the map Haine is working on, as it's a big spaceship.
wrt steering, I liked that the game Mush had the captain character (or the appropriate person in the line of succession. Or a hacker.) steering the ship towards adventure zones with a bunch of randomised traits. That'd be a pretty solid mechanic to borrow for something on a spaceship.
Space stations can also make minor course adjustments but, yeah, it does make more sense overall for the Destiny map.

Steering towards adventure zones sounds like a fun idea.
Anticheese Wrote:wrt steering, I liked that the game Mush had the captain character (or the appropriate person in the line of succession. Or a hacker.) steering the ship towards adventure zones with a bunch of randomised traits. That'd be a pretty solid mechanic to borrow for something on a spaceship.
I really liked everything about MUSH. The thing I don't like is the turn per hour thing. I have never liked that type of game. If only MUSH was like a normal game but with the same mechanics(basicly it would be SS13 then). I wish we had alot of the mechanics MUSH in SS13.
pushed meteor showers to 60 minutes and black holes to 45 for the moment. I'd like to expand on what random things like those can happen/make them more interesting to deal with, but for the current moment and my current amount of exhaustion this will have to suffice (also I will need ideas)
Haine Wrote:pushed meteor showers to 60 minutes and black holes to 45 for the moment. I'd like to expand on what random things like those can happen/make them more interesting to deal with, but for the current moment and my current amount of exhaustion this will have to suffice (also I will need ideas)

Monkey Insurrection: All monkeys on the station go hostile for a short period of time.
Black holes still occur at about half an hour in.