Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChemiCompiler
Readster Wrote:seriously though I think it was written in brainfuck so that the difficult part was learning to use it, not figuring out how to get started.
figuring out how to get started took us about two weeks to a month of work. learning to use it took us about a day. it's easy as hell.

releasing this secret on the goon secrets thread got the portable version removed from the game. now that it's been totally publicly released, I can only hope it won't be removed for good.
Not everyone is sperg enough to understand or want to understand the compiler.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Readster Wrote:seriously though I think it was written in brainfuck so that the difficult part was learning to use it, not figuring out how to get started.
figuring out how to get started took us about two weeks to a month of work. learning to use it took us about a day. it's easy as hell.

releasing this secret on the goon secrets thread got the portable version removed from the game. now that it's been totally publicly released, I can only hope it won't be removed for good.
I'm pretty sure that the portable Chemicompiler is still in the game. I used it earlier today.
pizzatiger Wrote:
Dabir Wrote:They've still gotta learn brainfuck, dude. Brainfuck.

Brainfuck is easy + is 1 ++ is 2. Super simple!!

pizzatiger Wrote:
NoscopeToolbox Wrote:What I posted on Reddit:
The chemicompiler uses a variant of brainfuck. It has 15 commands. ~ compiles the code so it can't be read. It has 5 variables. >/< and +/- increase and decrease certain variables. One of those variables can be pushed to different variables to set input, output and such. It can have 10 beakers in it that can be used as sources and targets, but it also has 3 more usable targets. It can heat/cool, mix reagents between the 10 beakers, make pills and vials.

Wow fuck you, You just ruined one of the most dangerous secrets and made it so the people who worked hard to figure it out kinda useless because guess WHAT, THERE WAS NO POINT TO TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT ONCE YOU TELL EVERY FUCKING NERD HOW TO USE IT
I think the chemicompiler should be fine as long as no one starts posting scripts to blow stuff up.

Also don't you still need bad chems chems to be a horrible person.

If it's just using chemicals as inputs it's not like they can make quark gluon plasma out of thin air.
Also I think you and me have very different definitions of easy.

Print "Hello world"

is easy

Code:
[ This program prints "Hello World!" and a newline to the screen, its
  length is 106 active command characters [it is not the shortest.]

This loop is a "comment loop", it's a simple way of adding a comment
  to a BF program such that you don't have to worry about any command
  characters. Any ".", ",", "+", "-", "<" and ]" characters are simply
  ignored, the "[" and "]" characters just have to be balanced.
]
+++++ +++               Set Cell #0 to 8
[
    >++++               Add 4 to Cell #1; this will always set Cell #1 to 4
    [                   as the cell will be cleared by the loop
        >++             Add 2 to Cell #2
        >+++            Add 3 to Cell #3
        >+++            Add 3 to Cell #4
        >+              Add 1 to Cell #5
        <<<<-           Decrement the loop counter in Cell #1
    ]                   Loop till Cell #1 is zero; number of iterations is 4
    >+                  Add 1 to Cell #2
    >+                  Add 1 to Cell #3
    >-                  Subtract 1 from Cell #4
    >>+                 Add 1 to Cell #6
    [<]                 Move back to the first zero cell you find; this will
                        be Cell #1 which was cleared by the previous loop
    <-                  Decrement the loop Counter in Cell #0
]                       Loop till Cell #0 is zero; number of iterations is 8

The result of this is:
Cell No :   0   1   2   3   4   5   6
Contents:   0   0  72 104  88  32   8
Pointer :   ^

>>.                     Cell #2 has value 72 which is 'H'
>---.                   Subtract 3 from Cell #3 to get 101 which is 'e'
+++++++..+++.           Likewise for 'llo' from Cell #3
>>.                     Cell #5 is 32 for the space
<-.                     Subtract 1 from Cell #4 for 87 to give a 'W'
<.                      Cell #3 was set to 'o' from the end of 'Hello'
+++.------.--------.    Cell #3 for 'rl' and 'd'
>>+.                    Add 1 to Cell #5 gives us an exclamation point
>++.                    And finally a newline from Cell #6

Is hard.
atomic1fire Wrote:I think the chemicompiler should be fine as long as no one starts posting scripts to blow stuff up.
too late. specific scripts, recipes, and beaker placements for some station busting setups were already released by shovelbum on the goons secrets thread
Cyclical Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the portable Chemicompiler is still in the game. I used it earlier today.
volundr said he's making it a traitor scientist only item this week
UrsulaMejor Wrote:volundr said he's making it a traitor scientist only item this week
good, it's way too dangerous an item to be used by the general public, I mean somebody could make a glitter smoke fountain with it or something
Why nerf something that only a handful of turbo nerds know how to use and is less dangerous than a rogue chem-borg/a scientiest who knows how to make 11x11s.
Amuys Wrote:Why nerf something that only a handful of turbo nerds know how to use and is less dangerous than a rogue chem-borg/a scientiest who knows how to make 11x11s.
were you not there the time I used it to kill literally everyone on station and destroy 4/5ths of it? c: that was a good round.

but no, this item is horribly overpowered and the only reason it was allowed to exist at all is because it was supposed to be extremely god awful to work with.

people publicly sharing scripts and info gets rid of the difficulty, so now it's just extremely overpowered with no limit
I've tried taking a crack at the chemicompiler and it seems probably more difficult then telescience so far.

That said if people are big enough nerds to create station destroying explosions with it maybe it needs a nerf.

Maybe give it a huge power drain on the rest of chemistry, or a large wait time for processing.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Amuys Wrote:Why nerf something that only a handful of turbo nerds know how to use and is less dangerous than a rogue chem-borg/a scientiest who knows how to make 11x11s.
were you not there the time I used it to kill literally everyone on station and destroy 4/5ths of it? c: that was a good round.

but no, this item is horribly overpowered and the only reason it was allowed to exist at all is because it was supposed to be extremely god awful to work with.

people publicly sharing scripts and info gets rid of the difficulty, so now it's just extremely overpowered with no limit
For you maybe, but 99% of the playerbase would not go out of their way to learn fucking brainfuck just to make a fancy chemical bomb, despite being "so easy a deaf, dumb, and blind monkey can do it." Besides, you can just use a bunch of pills and beakers for the same purpose.
I think there's a major cognitive disconnect between chem nerds and the average player. If there's something that's destroying stations, it's not pods burning down the station, but ridiculously overpowered genetic superpowers.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:were you not there the time I used it to kill literally everyone on station and destroy 4/5ths of it? c: that was a good round.

maybe things shouldn't be "horribly overpowered" in the first place! balancing by secrecy in a multiplayer game has never worked in the history of ever.

atomic1fire Wrote:That said if people are big enough nerds to create station destroying explosions with it maybe it needs a nerf.
Are the station destroying explosions larger than a nuke/11x11? If so, sure, go ahead and nerf it a bit. Otherwise, why bother? It's not like knowing brainfuck bestows antagonist status upon you, so people who abuse it cop a ban like every other non-traitor bombing the station, and traitors have other options that aren't as obtuse (and don't cost TC to use).

but I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of people itt on SA so you already know the arguments
See, but here's the thing that I think you guys should keep in mind. Anything, anything in the slightest, no matter how difficult it is to figure out, no matter how brainfucky the mechanisms are, no matter how godawful the interface is, should NOT be available to the general public if anyone can, if given simple instructions, destroy almost the entire station and kill everyone just by mashing together a few beakers. You don't have to know how something works to be able to use it, Solarium has proven that much on multiple occasions.

Canister bombs don't do this much damage. A superpowered mega-geneticist doesn't do this much damage. Making an entire room out of goddamn erebite doesn't do this much damage. And what sets the Chemicompiler apart from all of these other devices is that all you need to do is put beakers in, do some coding, and then suddenly you have a mega death bomb. No waiting around for gases to superheat, no fiddling with genetic code for an hour, no careful and discrete construction of explosives, just a bunch of beakers and the push of a couple of buttons.

No matter how difficult it is to learn, no matter how few people actually bother with the damn thing, being able to repeatedly and consistently deal that much damage with that little setup should not be an ability given to the general public. As Urs mentioned, people sharing scripts completely negates the one drawback to this thing and turns it into an absolute death machine. If people get secret chem recipes, they still need to be able to go through the trouble of making the stuff, and the secret poisons are FAR from inescapable doom. If people get perfect gas mixtures and setups for station-wrecking canister bombs, they still need to labor over the thing for a long time and hope that toxins lab doesn't blow up due to other things in the meantime.

The Chemicompiler has the potential of letting you completely destroy a really hefty chunk of the station in probably about ten minutes if you know what you're doing.

That's bad.