Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix the Doors
you'd swear this was a game solely dedicated to door opening

maybe power levels should affect door opening speeds? low power, crawls open eventually, high power, snaps open violently and boomingly loud
pizzatiger Wrote:I am okay with the sound(Its kinda annoying but i can live with it) but i hate the new door speeds. It make chases less stragetic and exciting because the dynamic of people being chased having to open doors or if there lucky they can dart through a door and it takes twice as long for the chaser to catch up due to the fact that doors are nearly no-longer needed.

Why not have Slow doors at the start and the Ai can be given a station improvments research thingy that unlocks new stuff for the Ai to play with/general improvments for the station. Have Faster doors as an Improvment and then the Ai can then go around and start making the doors speed up(or re-slow them to help someone during a chase).

This does 3 things

1-Make chases fun again

2-Gives the Ai an research screen that can open up more stuff the Ai can do other then shock,bolt and open doors(Research a synthetic human body for the Ai to enter or gravity control (Humans speed up and can carry larger objects like pipes or large artifacts with both hands in rooms where the AI has lowered gravity BUT the ai can turn off gravity altogether and force humans to travel like they are in space in rooms

3-The Ai can help or hinder you in chase scenes. This adds a layer of unknown forcing you to treat the ai kindly or it will just watch instead of helping you when your escaping a killer axe man.

Gravity control is a neat idea. So tying door speeds to power levels.
more things for the AI to play with sounds fun.
Ed Venture Wrote:Plus in chases the Ai won't be able to help you. Say you need to catch a changeling since the doors are so fast now the AI is going to have alot of trouble locking it down.

The whole "chases will be broken" thing does not make sense, and nobody ever bothers to explain why other than "Chases are ruined!!!". The speed of the doors opening doesn't affect whether the AI can bolt them. If the doors are open, they're open. If the changeling makes it to the door and hits it, the AI can't bolt it regardless of how fast/slow it's going to open after the fact. By far the biggest problem with AI's trying to lock someone down is shitty camera angles, not speed. The AI can bolt doors as fast as they can click on them, while the changeling has to move (slowly, in comparison to the AI's mouse) around the hallways/room.

pizzatiger Wrote:Why not have Slow doors at the start and the Ai can be given a station improvments research thingy that unlocks new stuff for the Ai to play with/general improvments for the station. Have Faster doors as an Improvment and then the Ai can then go around and start making the doors speed up(or re-slow them to help someone during a chase).

Giving the AI a command to increase/decrease door opening speed sounds like the most tedious and absurd thing to have control over, and as I've explained door speed has nothing to do with chases anyways. The AI research idea sounds pretty cool, and should be put into it's own suggestions thread, not shoehorned into one about something completely different.

pizzatiger Wrote:1-Make chases fun again

I love how the new doors have been in for a day and people are already complaining that chases have been ruined. How does a door opening marginally faster manage to throw a wrench in the elusive and complicated formula known as following someone? Explained in first paragraph.

pizzatiger Wrote:2-Gives the Ai an research screen that can open up more stuff the Ai can do other then shock,bolt and open doors(Research a synthetic human body for the Ai to enter or gravity control (Humans speed up and can carry larger objects like pipes or large artifacts with both hands in rooms where the AI has lowered gravity BUT the ai can turn off gravity altogether and force humans to travel like they are in space in rooms

No, the time-delay research for science/genetics only exists because there's no better solution other than giving them everything at the start and letting them go hog-wild. This also has nothing to do with doors.

pizzatiger Wrote:3-The Ai can help or hinder you in chase scenes. This adds a layer of unknown forcing you to treat the ai kindly or it will just watch instead of helping you when your escaping a killer axe man.

The AI can already help/hinder you in chases. They can just bolt the doors, stopping the axe murderer, rather than making the doors open slightly slower than usual.
Klayboxx Wrote:
Tobba Wrote:The iconic hiss was changed because it was half a second too long and sounded incredibly stupid with the fast doors
Doors were changed because they made the game feel extremely laggy due to the desynchronization of when it looked like you could pass through and when you actually could

I could bring the opening time back to 1 second but theres no way in hell I'm bringing back the old timing for the density changes

That and the sound is mostly there because nobody could figure out where the hell cogs is and yell at him to make a non-terrible sound

I changed it because I didn't like it! Me!

No edit button, so vOv

Ah yes, the selfish coder made an improvement. Clearly Tobba is heir to Mport's legacy and will usurp power over these servers with his tyrannical and personal coding habits.

Grow up you asinine baby, it's a fuckin 2d spaceman game and the most insignificant variable was slightly tweaked.
Walrus Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:Plus in chases the Ai won't be able to help you. Say you need to catch a changeling since the doors are so fast now the AI is going to have alot of trouble locking it down.

The whole "chases will be broken" thing does not make sense, and nobody ever bothers to explain why other than "Chases are ruined!!!". The speed of the doors opening doesn't affect whether the AI can bolt them. If the doors are open, they're open. If the changeling makes it to the door and hits it, the AI can't bolt it regardless of how fast/slow it's going to open after the fact. By far the biggest problem with AI's trying to lock someone down is shitty camera angles, not speed. The AI can bolt doors as fast as they can click on them, while the changeling has to move (slowly, in comparison to the AI's mouse) around the hallways/room.

pizzatiger Wrote:Why not have Slow doors at the start and the Ai can be given a station improvments research thingy that unlocks new stuff for the Ai to play with/general improvments for the station. Have Faster doors as an Improvment and then the Ai can then go around and start making the doors speed up(or re-slow them to help someone during a chase).

Giving the AI a command to increase/decrease door opening speed sounds like the most tedious and absurd thing to have control over, and as I've explained door speed has nothing to do with chases anyways. The AI research idea sounds pretty cool, and should be put into it's own suggestions thread, not shoehorned into one about something completely different.

pizzatiger Wrote:1-Make chases fun again

I love how the new doors have been in for a day and people are already complaining that chases have been ruined. How does a door opening marginally faster manage to throw a wrench in the elusive and complicated formula known as following someone? Explained in first paragraph.

pizzatiger Wrote:2-Gives the Ai an research screen that can open up more stuff the Ai can do other then shock,bolt and open doors(Research a synthetic human body for the Ai to enter or gravity control (Humans speed up and can carry larger objects like pipes or large artifacts with both hands in rooms where the AI has lowered gravity BUT the ai can turn off gravity altogether and force humans to travel like they are in space in rooms

No, the time-delay research for science/genetics only exists because there's no better solution other than giving them everything at the start and letting them go hog-wild. This also has nothing to do with doors.

pizzatiger Wrote:3-The Ai can help or hinder you in chase scenes. This adds a layer of unknown forcing you to treat the ai kindly or it will just watch instead of helping you when your escaping a killer axe man.

The AI can already help/hinder you in chases. They can just bolt the doors, stopping the axe murderer, rather than making the doors open slightly slower than usual.

I guess the research thing was dumb to add to this thread, I just wanted a way to make upgraded doors a thing you have to work/wait for (I will make a seperate thread for it though) BUT chases are more or less ruined in my opinion. To me the slow door opening and closing added a bit of strategy/timing to the chase. Do you keep on going foward and risk wating for the door to open or do you open the door and runs backward leaving the door for a second try and having it close on your attacker face. What the point of doors in hallways/past the initial ID locked set if doors baiscly don't effect anything now.

The giving the Ai the power to speed up or slow down doors was mostly to give the ai something more to do then....AI DOOR OPEN, AI BOLT DOOR, AI ELECTIFIED DOOR. Now it can effect the flow of the game! Give the AI and director lawset and have intense chase scenes where the Ai speeds or slow downs people to make it more fun for everyone to be apart of/watch
The AI can already (law restrictions aside):

- Swap station budgets at will
- Change security records to give everyone nonsense names and/or convict them for hilarious, falsified crimes
- Remotely control Guardbuddies
- Bust out lights
- See basically everything on the station, with a few exceptions
- Many other things I'm probably forgetting to list

See, here's the thing about the AI: If it had much more control over things than it does now, rogue AIs would be absolute nightmares. The point of playing as an AI, and what makes it so difficult, is figuring out how to accomplish many things given your seemingly limited capabilities.
AngriestIBM Wrote:what the FUCK why do doors open when you walk into them?? what is this garbage are you all too lazy to JUST CLICK EVERY DOOR god DAMN

AngriestIBM Wrote:And why were mob sprites changed?? Everyone looks like they're flexing wtf
thanks a lot STUPID NORN

exactly ugh fuck change
Klayboxx Wrote:
AngriestIBM Wrote:what the FUCK why do doors open when you walk into them?? what is this garbage are you all too lazy to JUST CLICK EVERY DOOR god DAMN

AngriestIBM Wrote:And why were mob sprites changed?? Everyone looks like they're flexing wtf
thanks a lot STUPID NORN

exactly ugh fuck change

nice save, you were ~actually~ being ironic the whole time! Heh.
Chases haven't been ruined. If anything, it's opened them up to be less centralized to one area, since someone doesn't have to worry about getting caught at the door. Personally, I think a chase that starts in the Medbay and ends at the bar is more interesting than one that ends in mad dashes towards Mechanics and the Air Bridge.

The doors in the hallways can still be locked by the AI or sealed with welders, so they still serve as barricades.

Also, I really don't mind the sound. I have no clue why everyone is so bothered by it. It sounds like a quick hiss from a pneumatic hose.
Personally, I think what would help the AI better than slowing doors would be a command to bolt/unbolt all doors in a certain area. When someone yells "AI BOLT DOWN X", by the time you maneuver over and start bolting, half the time the culprit has already fled and you're left bolting doors in their wake. Don't know if that's all that relevant to the topic of discussion, though.
Gotta admit - not a super big fan of the faster doors.
Walrus Wrote:Grow up you asinine baby, it's a fuckin 2d spaceman game and the most insignificant variable was slightly tweaked.

You're the professor zoom to klayboxx's flash.
Don't even care about doors opening faster, but if it means the removal of the iconic door opening sound I'm not in support of that shit
Mofleaker Wrote:Don't even care about doors opening faster, but if it means the removal of the iconic door opening sound I'm not in support of that shit
This was basically my exact reason for making this thread. Let's shift away from varying opinions on door speed and focus more on the thing that nobody likes at the moment, which is the new sound. Why no just have a shorter version of the old sound rather than a faster version?