Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Reality Toxins
Clarks Wrote:The problem is that a lot of people are afraid to get banned over an explosion accident.

Space already has two chem labs and one lab for electrician. Repurposing some derelict as a bomb mixing area wouldn't be a bad idea.
Speaking of which the derelict mining station has some mixing equipment. You can pretty much repurpose any closed room into a mixing room if you have some of those portable air pumps. You will need some good fire resistance or an emagged borg to activate it, and you might not be able to get the max blast size, but it can be done.
Clarks Wrote:The problem is that a lot of people are afraid to get banned over an explosion accident.

Space already has two chem labs and one lab for electrician. Repurposing some derelict as a bomb mixing area wouldn't be a bad idea.
I'm pretty sure an "explosion accident" isn't even possible. It's pretty easy to set Toxins on fire, but unvented random plasma fires usually don't get that hot, and I can't think of any way to blow up Toxins without intentionally detonating a completed bomb.
Paineframe Wrote:

I'm pretty sure an "explosion accident" isn't even possible. It's pretty easy to set Toxins on fire, but unvented random plasma fires usually don't get that hot, and I can't think of any way to blow up Toxins without intentionally detonating a completed bomb.
Well, once a guy left a bomb in toxins when it accidentally set on fire. half of the science division was gone in three minutes.
Paineframe Wrote:

Aren't busted canisters explody enough
Splatpope Wrote:
Paineframe Wrote:Aren't busted canisters explody enough

They will mess you up if you're in the same room as them (mostly because you're now stunned in a sea of hellfire), but they won't spread to other departments.
Even the most catastrophic toxins failure with the exception of a bomb actually detonating will only barely have an effect on research at large, with most of the damage concentrated in the RD's office and possibly artlab due to convection.

This assumes there's no structural failures between toxins and the remainder of research, mind.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:from the other thread on this exact same idea:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:Perhaps a "digitizer" that can "turn an item virtual" by teleporting it from a designated tile in the science lab to a designated tile in the vr testing chamber.

The digitizer can't be used on humans unless emagged and sparks obviously when it is

The only thing about that pad that I would change is that it doesn't transport things, but rather makes a duplicate that exists in VR space until it's reset. Unless emagged, of course
Frank_Stein Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:from the other thread on this exact same idea:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:Perhaps a "digitizer" that can "turn an item virtual" by teleporting it from a designated tile in the science lab to a designated tile in the vr testing chamber.

The digitizer can't be used on humans unless emagged and sparks obviously when it is
I think direct transportation is best because it's easiest to code and doesn't allow infinite resources while simultaneously providing a safe testing area

The only thing about that pad that I would change is that it doesn't transport things, but rather makes a duplicate that exists in VR space until it's reset. Unless emagged, of course
"easier to code" is not an excuse, it's not like making a copy of an object is hard as fuck
Make everything potentially dangerous virtual so you know someone is a traitor if they're using the real thing
Amelorate Wrote:The problem with something like this is that, since the virtual toxins lab would only make virtual bombs that only work in VR, it turns toxins into a big giant traitor room where only traitors would go and make a real bomb.

This guy has made the best point. Everyone would know that if you were making ~HORRIBLE CHEMICAL~, or ~SICK BOMB~ irl you're for sure making it to murder someone, because otherwise wouldn't you make it in the virtual science room?

Awful idea, if you blow yourself up, oh well. No admin is going to be mad at you for accidentally exploding something. And if you're whining about actually dying, well then maybe you shouldn't be making bombs idk??
zeknife Wrote:Make everything potentially dangerous virtual so you know someone is a traitor if they're using the real thing

lmao see this is exactly why this idea is horrible as fuck
Klayboxx Wrote:
zeknife Wrote:Make everything potentially dangerous virtual so you know someone is a traitor if they're using the real thing

but using this knowledge is exactly the definition of metagaming so why shoot it down for this reason when you could, you know, ban people for being assholes ?
How about we take the VR room for tank transfer valves approach. Just have a pad to scan a tank so it can be blown up in VR to test how badly it can go.
Splatpope Wrote:
Klayboxx Wrote:

but using this knowledge is exactly the definition of metagaming so why shoot it down for this reason when you could, you know, ban people for being assholes ?

I get what you're saying, but that isn't metagaming. Knowledge of traitor items/traitor activity isn't considered metagaming, so if a guy is making a bomb in real life when he has the choice to make a virtual bomb for testing, it's going to look sketchy.
it probably is not what we consider metagaming in the ss13 community but it is the proper definition of this word : using knowledge outside of the game to influence the game itself : if you know that a certain item is restricted to traitors but your character does not actually know that it is (such as a cloaking device, who knows, it might be a special sciency thing ?, but if you're the captain or security, you might be aware that such things are syndicate technology), you're actively using knowledge you gained outside the game (from previous rounds, from the wiki, from hearsay) in order to make decisions inside it (bash that filthy flickering basterd's head in)

but I guess we rather call the enforcement of such rules dumb rp instead of flatout metagaming prevention and I am of course not implying that doing it so lightly should be punished

On the other hand, shooting down this idea because it might introduce the fact that toxins is only used by traitors is wrong because acting on the sole information that lawful people would only make virtual bombs to not get banned, in order to mark everyone using the real toxins as traitors is going too far; that would be punishing everyone instead of simply telling people to not jump on conclusions and be sensible human beings

i mean come on what the fuck in that situation, if I saw some dude making real mixes in toxins, I'd just watch him closely and passively deter him from making a real bomb, instead of shouting "OMG TRATTOR, HE MEK BOMB IN TOXANS"

also I know you understood me so I shall not deblaterate any further you all get the point

and of course my point is moot because on ss13, we are all tryhard jerks so whatever