Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dedicated Roleplay Server?
In all seriousness I don't care if people want to roleplay or whatever, or if they wish they were in an environment where people were held to a stricter standard. That fact is that that is not what we want the focus of our community to be, and to split up the already somewhat limited number of players would be detrimental to the quality of both servers, in the end.
I feel like the goons stance on roleplay could at least be in part explained by the movie Airplane.

Everyone is on a space ship but it's sort of a parody of a spaceship. Spaceship stuff happens but it's not 100% realistic or plausible.
atomic1fire Wrote:I feel like the goons stance on roleplay could at least be in part explained by the movie Airplane.

Everyone is on a space ship but it's sort of a parody of a spaceship. Spaceship stuff happens but it's not 100% realistic or plausible.

This. 1000x this.

Like, I don't get roleplay servers and their stance towards realism. There's so many unrealistic things, like having big glass windows on a space-station. One hole in a room would send absolutely everything flying towards that hole due to the vacuum of space. Guns are also incredibly unrealistic, like bullets only travel as far as your line of sight, and can only be shot as far as your line of sight

If you live in such a whacky universe then the people that inherit it should also be whacky. I remember fondly I was banned from somewhere because I yelled who locked me in a locker when in "theory" I shouldn't be able to see outside a locker. :downs:
On serverchat, I'd like to think a Sandbox or Extended server with Respawning on would be nice for people who just want to figure shit out without getting brutally murdered / spend time checking if their latest plan will actually work without blowing a rare traitor round.

The low-pop servers can be somewhat alright for this, except if you die the round tends to go on for hours.

The costume NPC by Crew Quarters totally needs to sell a firsuit, too. "Is that shrub moving?" Bonus points if it made you move slow and made that cartoon pingy noise when you walked.
Zamujasa Wrote:On serverchat, I'd like to think a Sandbox or Extended server with Respawning on would be nice for people who just want to figure shit out without getting brutally murdered / spend time checking if their latest plan will actually work without blowing a rare traitor round.
It appears you don't exactly know goonstation very well. Being brutally murdered whilst working on a big project is part of the fun on goon. It even says so in big golden letters when you join the server.
Sundance Wrote:Like, I don't get roleplay servers and their stance towards realism. There's so many unrealistic things, like having big glass windows on a space-station. One hole in a room would send absolutely everything flying towards that hole due to the vacuum of space. Guns are also incredibly unrealistic, like bullets only travel as far as your line of sight, and can only be shot as far as your line of sight

Not all roleplay servers treat things as completely realistic; they're just about as niche as the lack of roleplay and total chaos of Goon is niche; the vast bulk of servers are somewhere in between in their treatment of realism.

Quote:If you live in such a whacky universe then the people that inherit it should also be whacky. I remember fondly I was banned from somewhere because I yelled who locked me in a locker when in "theory" I shouldn't be able to see outside a locker. :downs:

That's definitely the other opposite end of the extreme. A lot of people seem to think "roleplay" is indicative of having to play out and act like everything is 100% realistic. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely servers out there that enforce this level of RP, but the majority of SS13 "roleplay" out there is light to medium roleplay. They treat it a bit more realistically (ie: taking your job/role a bit more serious...for example, geneticists and doctors actually doing their jobs), but they still acknowledge it's a game and encompass the whackiness within it. Once in a while this already happens on Goon, just not much and it's definitely not enforced (usually on quieter rounds with low to mid population).
Most roleplayers don't act like real people because most people who spend the majority of their time roleplaying do so because they don't know how to act around real people. Thus the whole thing usually comes off as a stilted, weird mess wherein you're talking to a bunch of weird caricatures and robots trying their hardest to be big tough badasses and other irritating nonsense.

A few of the servers are overly strict about it, to a fault, for example bay 12 and its famous incidents of banning assistants for using stun batons and shit because they wouldn't know how to do something so complicated as hitting someone with a stick. This isn't a good reason to avoid the idea, particularly when there are so many other good reasons to not do it.
I have been yelled at by people for roleplaying on Goon. I think it's a fun way to make otherwise formulaic rounds more entertaining to play. For some reason this annoyed the shit out of some people and I even got a weirdo with an odd grudge against me for it.

That being said, I'm very happy it's not enforced and I wouldn't even think of being annoyed by someone not taking the game seriously. I like the ability to have a choice how much roleplay you wish to apply in-game and to me this thread seems like a silly attempt to reduce that amount of choice. As a result I'm actually opposed to this.

Fox McCloud Wrote:-Groupthink

Elaborate.
I am the dorkest dweeblord irl as I run RP-heavy dungeons and dragons games, and I still know in my heart goon is not really the place for it
I don't understand why people think 'roleplay' has to mean tightass Baystation garbage. You can 'roleplay' in a funny and lighthearted way which will draw people into your schtick. Wabash had a thing for a while, when he played AI, where he'd pretend he was a Nanotrasen intern shut unto the AI core and made to fill in for the role of AI while the real one was away on repairs. People loved it, and in general love stuff like that.
meme_father_222 Wrote:I don't understand why people think 'roleplay' has to mean tightass Baystation garbage. You can 'roleplay' in a funny and lighthearted way which will draw people into your schtick. Wabash had a thing for a while, when he played AI, where he'd pretend he was a Nanotrasen intern shut unto the AI core and made to fill in for the role of AI while the real one was away on repairs. People loved it, and in general love stuff like that.

that's what people are saying - no one minds gimmicks like that, and light rp is usually very fun

we just don't want a server where it's mandatory
Roleplaying is encouraged, it's just not mandatory. Most players already casually roleplay anyways.
Awhile ago we always used to have one server set to sandbox mode, but that'd ruin a lot of puzzles now.

Having one server set to extended MIGHT be worthwhile, but idk. I tell ya what, I'll go pop server #3 onto Extended mode and just leave it for that until someone else cares enough to change it.

With a little bit of new code, it'd be easy to have the traitor counts or available gear skewed more towards quieter villainy on low-population rounds, just not sure how I feel about that yet.
In my imagination all assistants are either new, more experienced personnel who have been demoted or trying to get their foot in the door. The space economy is just bad enough that everyone wants to work for nanotransen because it means a job and free room and board, This plus inept management means completely under-qualified people can end up in possessions of power, and completely qualified people end up peons.

Plus it's funny to think that an assistant can do surgery better then a doctor.
atomic1fire Wrote:In my imagination all assistants are either new, more experienced personnel who have been demoted or trying to get their foot in the door. The space economy is just bad enough that everyone wants to work for nanotransen because it means a job and free room and board, This plus inept management means completely under-qualified people can end up in possessions of power, and completely qualified people end up peons.

Plus it's funny to think that an assistant can do surgery better then a doctor.

There should be a chalkboard in Telescience for writing down equations, and the janitor, the unsung genius of the station, can come in to clean while nobody's around and solve everything.
I could host it for for free forever if you guys really want it