Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job specific traitor objectives
Make a crewmember fat, sell 3 crewmembers to x buyer in Qm, etc. This would be awesome.
Destroy all the camels, for traitor Roboticists.
Melt 10 people in an acid bath.
Cogwerks Wrote:A bunch of the theft goals are incredibly pointless and dumb, I plan to replace them soon. The hell is the point of stealing sunglasses or multitools? It's just busywork.

I might put some untracked goals in there too, things like "have fun!" or "try to mastermind a heist" or "make the science staff incredibly angry" and just not bother having a pass/fail condition at all.

maybe this is a way too big effort solution but
changing the theft objectives from "steal X$ & Y items" to "steal X$ of goods" which could be comprised of cash, money on card, and a mishmash of items whose value would be in your notes or printed on the wiki or something (so each spacesuit is worth $1000, an RCD worth $5000, etc., you could win by having all cash or a bit of cash and some valuables or a backpack full of valuables and no cash)

the steal X$ objective as it stands is one of the boringest currently :/ The only time I had fun accomplishing it was using a hostage to extort the AI into giving the money to me. if it was a reasonable amount of $ such that you could get the cash without the banking computer (mugging crewmembers or selling traitor gear or scamming folks) it'd be more options == more fun
mozi Wrote:the steal X$ objective as it stands is one of the boringest currently :/ The only time I had fun accomplishing it was using a hostage to extort the AI into giving the money to me. if it was a reasonable amount of $ such that you could get the cash without the banking computer (mugging crewmembers or selling traitor gear or scamming folks) it'd be more options == more fun

Totally agree.
Please for the love of god change the way people access the funding computer.
Here's an idea, it's a bit convoluted but think about it.
[Image: czzppqB.png]
To unlock the funding computer (the bank isn't it?), you require either:
A) The pins of all the heads present.
B)The approval from sending them a page. The page basically beeps the Status Controller cartridge on the PDA (that conveniently all heads have), you get a message "Access to funding, approval required". Click the message and from there you can enter in your pin via PDA, which syncs up with the bank.

Why I think this is a good idea:
1. It's easy and straight forward. You enter your pin in, then you request that other heads do the same, and all they need is their pda. The wonders of modern technology
2.No more someone siphoning the money without other heads knowing about it. I'm not talking on a steal $X amount, but the captain ripping all the money to go spend it on some shady space dealer.
3.If one of the heads present was pda bombed, then you can still log in by entering their pin. Either they can do it, or if it's urgent they can just tell their pin
4. Here's the more interesting part: How do we rob the bank? Hostage situations come to mind. Capturing a head and beating their pin out of them. Or murdering and impersonating the HoP (voice changer is essential) then paging other heads. A changeling could access bank funds with ease.
You will then clash with other traitors who have objectives to kill a head target, which makes it even more interesting.

I had this idea written down for a while, it's been sitting in my SS13 folder for ages. I can't think of any other way that'd make stealing money objective more fun, all the while making the bank a little harder to crack than just HoP access.
Cogwerks Wrote:A bunch of the theft goals are incredibly pointless and dumb, I plan to replace them soon. The hell is the point of stealing sunglasses or multitools? It's just busywork.

I might put some untracked goals in there too, things like "have fun!" or "try to mastermind a heist" or "make the science staff incredibly angry" and just not bother having a pass/fail condition at all.

To piss off the science staff all you have to do is walk in as a doctor during a round with a shitlord, fun-hating RD.
Sundance Wrote:I had this idea written down for a while, it's been sitting in my SS13 folder for ages. I can't think of any other way that'd make stealing money objective more fun, all the while making the bank a little harder to crack than just HoP access.

i'm all in favor of cool stuff involving money but this idea idk frown

what happens if one of the heads if braindead? or just, dead dead and their PDA is gone?
what happens in the (very common) occurence of the HoP ditching their PDA then disappearing forever?
what happens if one of the heads is just a stubborn/metagaming dick who ignores all requests?

captains embezzling the whole budget to be stupid was a problem awhile back but admins stepped in to punish jerks who did that.
mozi Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:I had this idea written down for a while, it's been sitting in my SS13 folder for ages. I can't think of any other way that'd make stealing money objective more fun, all the while making the bank a little harder to crack than just HoP access.

i'm all in favor of cool stuff involving money but this idea idk frown

what happens if one of the heads if braindead? or just, dead dead and their PDA is gone?
what happens in the (very common) occurence of the HoP ditching their PDA then disappearing forever?
what happens if one of the heads is just a stubborn/metagaming dick who ignores all requests?

captains embezzling the whole budget to be stupid was a problem awhile back but admins stepped in to punish jerks who did that.

Ok then how about this?
Instead have a pda messaging programme that updates all heads what is being changed. Changes to the station budget, all heads will get a message, while changes to someone's salary, that person gets a message, as do the heads.
i.e:
R.D requests research funds, he gets a message: 5000 credits added to researching fund
Chef thinks he makes good burgers, demands a raise, he and the heads get a message Broccoli Steve's income is now 4 credits and then subsequently screams on the radio

This would make denomatrix cartridge a bit more tactical, you might only want to target heads for the very purpose of them not finding out that the funding is being swindled. If security is worth their meddle, they might notice this, so have it that the HoP can lock the bank with a 4 digit pin. This way you can still beat the living shit out of the HoP if things go pear-shaped.
I hate poo-pooing on your ideas but I only like about half of that, the part where folks get PDA messages when their account is messed with. (would also be handy for card swipers, PDA-MAILBOT "$X transfered from Y to Z")

giving immediate notifications of budget changes is a bit much, it'd be like if everyone got an immediate notice when the AI is given a suicide law? I get you can detomatrix the heads' PDAs but that in of itself means knowing who all the heads are & hoping they haven't turned their messenger off (also there are 5 heads so it'd mean having to buy 2 detomatrix carts, not to mention changlinges/vamps/clowns who want to steal shit). legit traitors would be screwed over when they try to steal money, some jerk upon getting that message is bound to immediately scream "AI bolt down customs there's a traitor in there." you increase the number of people receiving that message to all 5 heads and it increases the odds of lame jerks even more frown

if bank records were stored and could be accessed (like from a PC, maybe the detective's & HoPs) that could accomplish what you're trying without screwing over legit antagonists. people wouldn't notice the money's been stolen until the payroll runs out, at which point someone can check the bank records and see "oh captain dumbass took it all to buy slurrypods" then call for his immediate death. a legit traitor would have time to make a getaway or even launder the money so no one can/wants to bother trying to figure out who took it
mozi Wrote:I hate poo-pooing on your ideas but I only like about half of that, the part where folks get PDA messages when their account is messed with. (would also be handy for card swipers, PDA-MAILBOT "$X transfered from Y to Z")

giving immediate notifications of budget changes is a bit much, it'd be like if everyone got an immediate notice when the AI is given a suicide law? I get you can detomatrix the heads' PDAs but that in of itself means knowing who all the heads are & hoping they haven't turned their messenger off (also there are 5 heads so it'd mean having to buy 2 detomatrix carts, not to mention changlinges/vamps/clowns who want to steal shit). legit traitors would be screwed over when they try to steal money, some jerk upon getting that message is bound to immediately scream "AI bolt down customs there's a traitor in there." you increase the number of people receiving that message to all 5 heads and it increases the odds of lame jerks even more frown

You like half of it..that's a full half better! No but seriously, this is good criticism, I fully understand where you are coming from.

My point is stealing ALL the station money should be a tough nut to crack, the ai core is pretty sealed up behind a turret and potentially bolted doors, but this is pretty much an open safe with proper ID.
You could buy a denomatrix card, or you could kill every individual head without one. You mightn't even need to kill them, just make sure they don't know about it.

Here's another idea, if it isn't there already: Add a bank motherboard in tech storage.
Imagine this scenario:
Someone makes a remote bank with access, squanders the money, heads get a message, immediately run to the bank, while the traitor runs to the atm to pull out the cash as fast as possible. It'd be glorious.
Don't mean to double post, but to add to that scenario,
Let the bank create new profile, by just assigning a new name and new pin.
This way, when robbing the bank and the traitor is smart enough the heads could get a message like so
"124568 credits removed from station budget
Offshore Account's income is now 124568"

(the traitor created an profile called Offshore Account)
Or even sneaker, sending them on a wild goosechase.
"1245678 credits removed from station budget
Greedy Mcsillyhat (the captain) income now 124568
"

You shouldn't be able to rob the bank without some form of notice, but you should have plenty of options on how to do it.
Replace the steal money objective with something less boring than getting the appropriate ID and messing about with a computer.

Give the station a bank vault area filled with gold or funbux or something else that would be valuable but which has no real use in game(so nobody just goes in and takes everything when they aren't a traitor). Make it difficult to get into. Like, it should have impenetrable walls and a big thick steel vault door(which should all be double-thick to prevent certain things that would make this objective incredibly easy). Opening the door normally requires you to get your hands on a gold ID card, a different head-level ID card, and the combination(which is stored in a text file on the nuclear disk and also in the HoP and Captain's notes at the start of the round). Alternatively, you can spend a bunch of your crystals on specialized drilling equipment and slowly drill through the door locks, build and wire a computer into the vault door's electronics and send it a packet(which has the combination as its security code or whatever those things that go along with detomatixes and shit are called), or hit it with a fuckload of explosives. Anything that involves busting the door should set off alarms, though. The objective is to get in, get certain items from the vault, and escape with them(by either being off the Z-level and alive at the end of the round or escaping on the shuttle).

To give the crew an incentive to stop the traitor instead of just letting him in and fucking off, NT holds the crew responsible for the loss of the valuables and if the traitor successfully removes everything he needs everyone gets fired and Centcom sends the shuttle(with a longer timer than normal). If everything gets put back before the shuttle gets there, it goes back and things carry on like normal.

Also the Captain should never get this because he could just make himself a new ID, put in the code and be done in 2 minutes.
I kinda like how theatrical the whole "Require the heads of the station to input their PINs to do shit" thing is. How about instead of having it be to have access to the station budget, it's to access an emergency funds reserve that the station has. Did some jerk fuck off into space with the budget just as syndies invaded the station, and now you need laser guns? Are you the jerk who needs an extra 100k or so to make the perfect pod? Do you just like resting on fat stacks of cash? Then you better hope the other heads are around to say yes!

Also how about instead of all the heads, you just need a majority?

Also Dauntasa's vault idea got put up while I was posting this. Maybe require head approval for opening as an alternative?
I've always thought a vault would be fun, but anytime we've buildmoded a vault into a round for a heist goal, the captain or the CE or ... anyone who sees it will immediately want to break the fuck into it. Shit usually gets looted immediately by everyone.

It might be fun to put a vault out in one of the derelicts though. Hardly anyone ever brings back the Wendigo King's stacks of cash.
the reason nobody brings the Wendigo king's stash is because every single mob ever stuns you when it hits you making fighting them fucking infuriating

but honestly I'd love a bigass vault off somewhere in space