Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Airy alternatives to a pressurized environment.
(12-05-2017, 11:35 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: It's already in as an admin tool.

Also, High Pressure air tanks can already repressurize a room, everyone is just using them wrong. You're filling up a corner of the room with lots of air rather than distributing it around.

Regarding the latter point, it is essentially impossible to repressurize areas such as corridors, heating is a whole other nightmare. This is doing a full job, there's always parts that are cold and airless tucked away which is annoying.

The first point has got me thinking. If area bound sections can be instantly pressurized, what about implementing something halfway? I dunno, something like FTL?

Think about it this way: Let's take a pressurized room. You have a device on the wall, can be as fancy as you wish but those old air wall mounted things would work nicely. It's retains it's old function, it can detect if air is missing. But now it's area bound, it will detect if there's low oxygen in any of the tiles, and begin to slowly fill the room on all tiles with oxygen/air, not dissimilar to FTL.

Engineers when repairing the room after a breach need to do the following:
1. Repair the breach. If there is even one space tile, the net result will always be less air. 
2. Repair the oxygen gizmo. It can get damaged in a blast and lose its function.*
3. Drag in an airtank. The filling of the room is slow so the airtank would be best used to accelerate the process and provide air in key areas.
4. Drag in a heater. I feel heaters kind of need to be buffed something serious.

*It also turns off during fire to prevent fires from being constantly fed oxygen. Perhaps some method of turning this function off.....

This would largely rectify a huge number of issues with atmos as it currently stands. It would also dampen the effects of oxygen loss spreading from one breached area to others.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Airy alternatives to a pressurized environment. - by Sundance - 12-05-2017, 03:31 PM