Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Research and science rework
We already have the mechanics for such a thing in the game (just look at genetics)
Compared to other codes we do not need to destroy an item to be able to fabricate it (we got superior device analyzers) however we really lack any research whatsoever (upgrades and stuff obtainable via research only).

My idea is to add a research lab to science (which will have to cooperate with others especially the mechanic). Mechanics should also have acess (preferably throu the maint door) to the research lab, ya will understand why later.

Research lab is basically a lab for developing new prototypes, by building upon gathered knowledge. Idea is to gather science points, which are then used to develop various fields of science, which again depending on their development allow creation of prototypes (which mechanic can scan) and upgrades.

Points could be gathered in the beginning by scanning things (standard job of the mechanic) but when research is done enough, materials and energy can be sacrificed for the points (cause ya run outta things to scan anyway).

Fields to research could be:

Engineering - allows to develop engineering related things from tools and their upgrades to various machines (combined tools, powersources, mechanic specific machines and tools like the R-kit and the device analyzer, etc)

Medicine - discover special medical tools and devices (syringe gun, portable sleeper etc)

Command and Security - create upgrades for headsets, visors, weapons, armor, or even new things like personal energy shields, or telescopic/foldable/inflatable barriers/walls and doors

Robotics (unlocked after researching a few levels of engineering)- pushing the boundaries in this field, discovers new bots (basically more customization to buddy bots, creating farm-bots, miner-bots, and whatever suits yer fancy, which can be programmed and off-network; allows creation of mechanical synths (i already had a thread about them) etc

Biology (unlocked after a few levels into medicine) - greatly improves biological aspect of medicine (especially genetics) could help with faster/simpler production of synthblood and having easyer time in pathology, helps hydroponics too by discovering upgrades to trays (self-watering and self-fertilizing upgrades for example; and hopefully plant synths, i had a thread about this too)

Some prototypes would require certain levels in more than one field (example tool arm i spoke of in another thread would require levels in engineering, medicine, biology and robotics) and certain prototypes researched before that (again in case of tool arm, a combo-tool would need to be discovered as a pre-requirement (imagine a swiss army knife).

Research could even discover addons that improve fabricators (faster production, less materials used, or heck even a combo of those two)

Research would also discover a few machines for themselves (example mater to energy (and the oposite) converter, research point farm (basically consumes energy to generate research points).
       Machines research lab would start with would be a computer, a prototype fabricator, Analyzer-scanner (basically a machine like the mechanics device analyzer, except its fixed to the ground, requires power, and can scan even organic material, and resources).

Matter to energy converter would be like a furnace except it could consume anything within 3 seconds to produce electricity within the energy value of that item and ammount (so pretty much same as furnace just a lot faster, make sure ya got big enough battery bank to store all of the power at once)
      Energy to matter converter is the exact opposite (actually a fabricator that can consume energy to create any scanned resource). Powerhungry machine, but hey ya cant complain when ya no longer need to depend on RNG in mining (or lazy miners or greedy QM), and ya dont need to slave off breaking rocks...
(so even if mining doesnt supply ya with samples, at least ya can raid the nearest fabricator for glass and steel mats (and if yer lucky insulation too) to scan them, so at least ya can produce glass and steel to plug holes in the station, and wires to fix any shortcircuits...or whatever.

I would also like to see artifact lab re-worked (heck anything with commands is owercomplicated, and unexplained, not everyone is a programmer). I dont see why it cant be done like on every other code i seen, where each machine is set and then a button pushed.... (either via a computer or there is a button next to the machine).
       Pathology could use same re-work, some things are seriously not friendly towards anyone but experts.
      PDA Hacking and Programming could be done simpler too, thing i hate the most it reminds me of DOS (as a person with memory issues, i dont plan to memorize every fuckin thing, just to program a bot to patrol, or wonder how the fuck do i call/recall the shuttle, or access the data in security to set someone to arrest)

State yer opinions and ideas... this would need a lot of tuning and organization, and many more things which we can steal from other codes... muahhaha

Messages In This Thread
Research and science rework - by Vuk Farkas - 11-20-2016, 04:28 PM
RE: Research and science rework - by medsal15 - 11-21-2016, 03:38 AM
RE: Research and science rework - by atomic1fire - 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM
RE: Research and science rework - by Vuk Farkas - 11-22-2016, 10:15 AM
RE: Research and science rework - by aft2001 - 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM
RE: Research and science rework - by aft2001 - 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM
RE: Research and science rework - by ferriswheel1 - 11-22-2016, 01:49 PM
RE: Research and science rework - by Vuk Farkas - 11-22-2016, 05:35 PM
RE: Research and science rework - by Superlagg - 11-22-2016, 08:01 PM