Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Hacking and Computing Improvements
So, I've been playing SS13 on and off for about a month now, and I'm loving it! I've also noticed many intricate and complex systems, all of which are mind boggling at first. However, one system really caught my eye: Computers, packets, and networks. After digging through computer files and experimenting with network diagnostics, I realized how much potential for a game mechanic this has. Every single device should be able to be hacked, and not in the sense of wirecutting doors. Proper hacking, with programming and codebreaking. Passwords, firewalls, encryptions, and so much more. However, in turn for much better security, everything now has a vulnerability. Anyone can gain SU status, but, only if they have the knowledge, time, and correct data disks. It could take hours to break into certain parts of the network, but, this time and patience would yield great results. If one doesn't get caught by anti-virus or any sort of security software, one could theoretically take control of the entire station! From APCs to doors to even the AI! This sort of power, albeit incredibly hard and time consuming to achieve, could wreak havoc on the station once in the wrong hands. 

In the sense of game mechanics (not the ones that set gravity traps in the halls), hacking would definitely need to be balanced. Like I said previously, many ingame firewalls and other security methods would have to be in place. Also, every round passwords and encryption keys and file locations would have to change, so that people can't just paste in code and immediately be gods. 

Another thing that could be implemented would be computer viruses and malware attacks, and Syndie AI being uploaded to computer networks. These would wreak havoc and be near impossible to destroy, but, not impossible. Data disks, your local AI (presuming it hasn't been set to a murderous rampage yet), and built in anti-virus systems would help combat computer viruses and AI. Some of the things that viruses and Syndicate AI could do are:
  • Electrify or bolt doors
  • Mass spam PDAs and printers and E-Mail
  • Corrupt, delete, and edit records
  • Set Beepsky on an arresting spree
  • Upload new AI laws
  • Fuck with lights
  • Edit APC settings
  • Overload the engine
  • Shutdown the engine
  • Take control of any AI system, including shells, borgs, and the AI itself
  • Interact directly with players in VR
  • Overload circuits
  • Remotely detonate certain explosives (any explosive with a signaler)
  • (Re)call the shuttle
  • Disable comms
  • Embezzle the station budget to the Syndicate to gain more minions
  • Remotely control any robot
  • The equivalent of EMagging anything
As stated before, these viruses and AI would have to jump through MANY hoops to do what they want. It'll take time to get even into a single APC, nevermind trying to digitally emag something or take control of player AI.

Now, as with any idea, some of it is good, some of it is "meh", and some of it is fucking horrible. This is no different. Please, I'd love to hear feedback on this idea! I was going a bit overboard with the virus and rogue AI stuff, but, I'd love a significantly more complex computer system. It's potential power would draw people to computers more, and new game mechanics could be built on top of the new popular use of computers, if this all takes off. This is also my first post on this forum, so, if I've broken any rules or anything (forum rules are usually the same), please let me know and I'll try to fix that.

Messages In This Thread
Computer Hacking and Computing Improvements - by aft2001 - 10-18-2016, 06:55 AM