Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Goonion: an onion divided against itself cannot stand + it's p laggy now
I've been wanting to write a post about this for a while now, but as of the past two months the server has been getting quite quite some intensive lag spikes and rounds where opening airlocks is becoming a chore instead of just something that happens.
  • Someone is using the loafer? Don't even try playing security because the lag will make playing it near impossible.
  • Chemistry is testing a cool new mixture? Don't even bother trying to move as it's near impossible to go anywhere when someone sets off various mixtures.
  • Toxins has set off canister bombs again? Don't even bother trying to get to escape as the lag will make sure you're death before you notice.
  • Someone dies and gibs? Let's just pray that he isn't near a window or a grille because the recursive throws will cause severe lag.
Goonstation is a unique and interesting server, I'm sad to see it slowly turn into a hot garbage mess of lag and tears, after MagicMountain his 510 scheduler update things where alright and great without too much lag, but as of recently it's been getting really really bad, and i think that we need to take a step back and look at some of the more recently introduced features and at least attempt to improve some of it, because I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one thats noticing this.

[Image: QfjU.png]

I'm not a coder, and i doubt that i ever will given my history. But I'm still trying to do my best to attempt and resolve some of the performance issues that are/used to be present in the opensource release. as seen herehere, and here it's not much but it's the best i can do as an outsider that has no further knowledge nor profiling results of things happening on #2 but something needs to be done otherwise it'll just become worse over time.

Please, let's at least try.

Messages In This Thread
State of the Goonion: an onion divided against itself cannot stand + it's p laggy now - by Erik - 07-29-2016, 05:52 PM
RE: The current state of Goonstation. - by BBEG - 07-30-2016, 05:22 PM