Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
All the DirectX you could ever need! (RAINBOW TILE FIX)
So a few months ago I installed Stalker: Anomaly on my Surface Pro laptoblet and had to play musical DLLs with my d3d files in my windows folder to get it to run (works great on DirectX8 mode!). Essentially what I did was copy the d3dx8/9_**.dll files from system32 into SysWOW64, or from sysWOW64 into system 32, I forget which, but it made the game work.

Now, this was *after* I went to town installing and reinstalling Microsoft DirectX packages of all kinds. Im talking the recent ones, legacy packs, even shady d3d DLLs people posted in the Discord. I noticed that no matter what I did, it had no effect on Stalker, same error as ever. I started to wonder if these installer packages were really doing anything (they were, probably. I mean, someone woulda said something if they didnt!).

So fast forward to a few days ago when I tried to play SS13 and oh boy would ya look at that its the rainbow screen of death. Welp, shouldnt be a problem, there's a post on the forums all about how to fix that. Download the thing, install it, reboot and... it's still a disco vomit nightmare.

Then i remembered the thing I did with Stalker: Anomaly, how the installers didnt want to overwrite any of the d3d files for some probably good reason. So, I did what any seasoned computer scientist would do and moved all the d3d files out of system32 and sysWOW64 that my computer would let me and rebooted. Installed the package listed in the OP, rebooted, started SS13 and... it worked!

Moral of the story, if installing Hokie's DirectX package doesnt solve it for you, go into system32 and sysWOW64, delete all files select all the files that start with d3d, and move them out into another folder. Windows will stop you from moving some of those files because it isnt completely stupid, and that's okay. Then reboot, install the package, reboot again to be sure, and it might work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All the DirectX you could ever need! (RAINBOW TILE FIX) - by Superlagg - 12-21-2019, 11:21 AM