Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDA message mechanics: sender code irrelevant?
The Grim Sleeper Wrote:Yes. In order to send messages over wired network, the console has to be built over a data terminal.
Could you clarify on the Yes bit? I still don't really understand how the programs SigCatcher and SigSender work on stationary computers.

How can data terminals be constructed? The wiki points to the mechanic, but that lead me nowhere: the Device Analyzer doesn't work on the ones already in place, and I don't know where to find a recipe list or construction manual to build them from scratch.[/quote]

From top to bottom:

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:...SigCatcher...
SigCatcher has two modes, on and auto. In on mode catches all packets (sent or received, I haven't figured out), the caveat is that only can store one packet, so it always wil show the last captured one. Auto mode catches the first packet and then turns off, discarding the rest. I've never used SigCatcher seiously I usually use a sniffer if it's wired or a wireless mechanic component wired to a speaker and setting to catch all packets.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:...SigSender...
Also called SigPal. It lets you create packages adding and removing key-value pairs, effectively making your own package. The basic keys are address_1 for the destination and sender. It's really useful, you can even call and recall the shuttle using this program.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:...stationary computers...
I'd say the wiki it's sometimes a little vague but it always pays to read it well and test the stuff yourself.
Computers can have 3 different kinds of network cards. A wired one, that automatically connects to the powernet if the computer is built over a data terminal, a wireless card on which is set up to a frequency (using the periph command, read thinkdos on the wiki), and a mode; net being normal wireless networking, no limits other than the sender ID is always sent; free mode that lets you forge the sender but has very limited range, and wire (I'm not sure, portable computers has it) that lets you connect to the data terminal as well. There is also the limited wireless card that doesn't let you change frequencies.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:..data terminals..
As dabir said, scan a proper data terminal not a power terminal, those are not scannable by the device analyzer. Also read up the wiki on placing wires, because you'll need them well connected.

Messages In This Thread