Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDA message mechanics: sender code irrelevant?
So I set out to learn how to use the packet sniffer and packet sender on the Network Diagnostics Cart (for PDA) and I am having some issues.

I got myself 3 PDA's, PDA1 with the NDC, turned on the sniffer, sent a message from PDA2 to PDA3 and got the message from the sniffer:
Code:
command text_message
message doop
sender_name PDA2
address_1 [i]0200ba1b[/i]
sender [b]0201cce3[/b]
Fair enough, works fine.

Then I go to the Packet Sender on PDA1 and input:
Code:
command text_message
message zaz
address_1 [b]0201cce3[/b]
sender [i]0200ba1b[/i]
sender_name Gomba
and send the code. Sure enough, PDA2 gets a message from somebody named Gomba.

But then I try to send a reply from PDA2 to this person Gomba. Now if I understand correctly, this message should then end up on PDA3, because PDA2 thinks the sender ID of the message from Gomba is 0200ba1b. But that doesn't happen! Instead the message goes to PDA1! Worse, when I check the Detected PDA's list on PDA2, it says Gomba is now the new name of the owner of PDA1! That won't help me hide my identity, or forge a conversation, or other 'fun' things.

I am still so new at this stuff that I don't know what to make of this. Did I do it wrong? Is it intentional? Is it a bug? Is this something that players are no longer expected to try?

I have noticed that errors or omissions in packet construction have odd results. Example: if you don't enter an address, the message will be sent to all PDA's on a station, and that somehow results in a lot of angry responses. I think I need more help then the Wiki provides at this stage. Any tips?

Messages In This Thread