Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Destiny & RP on Goonstation
I think the major problem with Destiny RP is that the community (and perhaps in a lesser form: the admins) don't actually know what kind of RP we're looking for.
It's like in-between "well, we ain't heavy RP like bay, that shit just won't work" and "It's more RP than #4!" which means the goalposts are actually quite wide.

Example 1
We had a wraith round there on destiny. Nobody "knew" how to fight the wraith. There was no chaplain who could have prior knowledge.
As security, I could've asked for chemistry to start producing salt, but why would I know that salt is effective against the "spooky ghost"
So when fighting an antag that defies an RP sense such as wraiths and wizards (the latter you can at least shoot at) how do we go about this?
This also falls into other things like traitor items. Should I know what an EMAG is? What about if someone is mindslaved right in-front of me, should i know what that means?

Solution:
1. We could just go about this with everyone having the preconceived notion how to fight antagonists, but players are still restricted to job knowledge. So I would know that salt is a way to fight a wraith, but I don't know how to make salt unless a chemist saves it on the chemistry computer
2. We could have in-game knowledge. Security could start with a book of some "known" syndicate items, and the chapel could have a small library of tomes with some information on the more mythical enemies like Vampires, Wizards and Wraiths.

Example 2:
There has been cause for removing the clown and other silliness. It's off the basis that some shit doesn't work on RP rounds. Krampus 2.0 fairly certain got removed because it got run into the ground (and doesn't work on destiny because the hallways are too narrow)
But where does this stop? Do we remove farting because that doesn't make sense for people to fart on command?

Solution:
Perhaps we should, y'know, not be so triggered. This is a RP server, but several aspects of goon code will always be whacky and we should still encourage whackyness by players flinging pies, building dangerous contraptions, superfarting, etc. There will always be that guy who strips off naked and starts playing bagpipes. Shit like that should be dealt with in-game whether it be security or (less preferably) an angry mob. It's RP but we should aim to have some of #4's funny or else it'll be sterile as fuck.

As said before we're Medium RP, but that could mean alot of things, the nuances are yet to be ironed out.

Messages In This Thread