Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanics rework: Get your ideas in now
Hmm. I'll just shove out a bunch of ideas disregarding my own feelings on them. Some might be shit, obviously.

An FPU: I was gonna see if I could push numbers into DWAINE to perform operations on them, but it sounds like a hassle. Arithmetic is necessary for some of the more fun machines.

Relational Operators: Logic gates could be used, but it'd be nice if these were just a straight up component (or collection of them).

More interaction with the network: I don't know if it exists, but I'd like the ability to create and send files through components or packets in general. I know you can pretend to be a terminal through components, but I forget to what effect. I'm pretty sure those effects are fairly limited, however. I know this is a broad request, and one that somewhat falls into Angry's territory, but the nerdiness of each goes hand in hand.

List component: I don't know if the selection component can do this, but I'd like a component that held a list of key-value pairs. When passed a key, the value would be sent. Might be possible now, but I forget.

Selectable vend items: I'd like to choose what I vend by passing the item's name to the machine.

Personalized venders: I like this topic. I pure vendor might be too much. Maybe just an item that holds objects and allows for the vending of items by passing a certain input for a certain item. That way we still have to do the engineering to get paid properly.

Card Swiper: For credit transfers.

Grav Conveyors: Like conveyor belts, but in the mechanics style. Say, something that pushes objects in a selected direction for a limited (and selectable) amount of tiles and at a limited (and possibly selectable) rate. These could be hooked up back to back to make custom conveyor belt system to fun effect.

Trip lasers: Yup.

Medical Sensor: Like the medical pads in medbay. They read a PC's health and pass it on as output in some fashion. Maybe just a straight up read out which we have to filter down through other components.

Cross-z Teleportation: I'd like teleporters to work across z levels. Mainly just between the station and the derelict z's. I could see why having them work elsewhere would be a problem.

Gun Components: I'd like the gun component to take flamethrowers if it doesn't already. I'd also like the the egun component to have the option to charge and fire at the same time. Right now it's just no being utilized all that much.

Damage Sensor: Outputs the type and severity of damage received from an attack as if it were taken by a player. Capable of being deployed on a space tile. Practically invincible.

Barrier Component: Pops up a 1-tile barrier when activated. Probably some sort of force field. Can be turned off and removed with a wrench from any direction. That, or it has a limited duration and a recharge period.

An actual sound synth: Lots of sounds like honks, farts, and burps. All of which you could change the timing and pitch of with script. This sounds fucking hard. I'm sorry for bringing it up.

Lots of these have been suggested before. For those that have, I'm just showing support.

The idea above about connections being maintained is real nice.

A hard idea would be a component interface. Lets say whacking a component with a multitool qued a popup. Within the popup you could do things like alter outputs, change options, and name the rename the component. It would be really neat if we could keep multiple popups active, or if the popup referenced all components on a tile. This would be another way to make denser machines easier to build.

Well, that's enough from my currently poo brain. Regardless, the chain to inputs and outputs sounds exciting. Thanks for the mechanics work. It's one of my favorite things to mess with.

Messages In This Thread