Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Relationship Between Traitors and the HoS
Effortpost alert or something, ill do some TL;DR in the bottom or whatever, go read that if you're one of those people who don't want to read some a bunch of words written by a guy on the internet.

Today i played a round of SS13 in which i as the HoS took the decision to shoot, and kill 3 crewmembers who had all opened fire towards me ( actually one of them tried killing me with a fire-extinguisher cloak combo, but whatever) This ended up with quite a few complaints in deadchat, and resulted in Marquesas having to mute it (by the way I'd love to see the logs of it, but that's besides the point). I thought i'd write this post in order to clarify my personal position on this whole subject and give you some insight in as to why i choose to do things this way.

I remember goofing around as a traitor back in 2012, and it was some of the most fun i'd ever had. You see, back then every HoS was either corrupt as hell, or would snap your neck in a heartbeat, or most likely, both. This created a certain tension, not knowing if the HoS was secretly spying on you through the walls with his trusty Thermal Goggles, while you were mercilessly beating up poor Philip Farmer with that fire extinguisher you just found sitting on top of the corpse of another crewmember. You were genuinly afraid of them, you never knew what they'd to do you if you got caught, and so because i knew that my beaten up corpse would be flying out the airlock nearest to the brig, if i did not take care not to be found, i made SURE not to be found. I made sure to take every necessary step to make sure the HoS would not find me, i cut AI cameras, i welded doors, and i picked targets in places i knew i would be out of sight from the hallways. I played smarter.

Nowadays i don't even bother picking up a tool belt and fill up with the proper tools anymore, it's simply not worth it. I know that if i'm gonna be caught, the worst thing that'll ever actually happen to me will be a stern talk, two minutes in the brig, and the occasional fart in the head. The average Head of Security players these days aren't known for their robustness, their prying eye, their combat tactics nor for their willingness to get rid of anyone who stands in their way.
While i for the longest time enjoyed, and employed in my own play, the 'bubs* School of Thought' in HoS'ing in which you're expected to be as nice as possible at all times, goof around much more than you should all while giving traitors the ol' ~you tried~ pat on the back when caught with a .358 revolver halfway hanging out of their backpack. I at some point realized how boring this actually made traitor rounds for me. Gone was the excitement of having pulled off a good traitor gimmick, because at no point do you ever feel threatened by the security crew, because you know if shit hits the fan, you can always just sweettalk the HoS to let you go and bam, you've got yourself a free get out of jail card.

*i'm not trying to be mean to bubs or anything, he was simply one of the first to really do this. He's also a really great guy and more stuff should be named after him. (Australia, for example)

This is why i think having strict (but fair) HoS' players creates better rounds overall. It means that traitors have to think long and hard about how to realize their grand schemes, since they'll know that if they screw up, they won't just be given a new chance to start all over again. This means that traitors have to work quick, gathering supplies while also having to cover their tracks, making sure not to leave corpses riddled with your own fingerprints while also forgetting to was their victims blood off their clothes. This is what creates a great traitor round for me, knowing that at any point you could have been caught and having your traitor-position wasted, but instead you outsmarted your competition and as a result, prevailed. This is how it should be if you ask me.

The most prevalent argument seems to be the whole idea of 'fun'
Traitors should have fun, and when they have fun, they also end up creating more fun for the crew, and i totally agree!
Though where i definitely disagree with a lot of other players is on which parameters fun is calculated. Most people would say that being not dead, equals more fun, which isn't really very compatible with my HoS playstyle.
However i heavily treasure the idea of Risk-Reward - The more risk is involved, the bigger the reward, which in turn equals more fun. I'd much rather spend half a round pulling off this horribly complicated, massively time-consuming traitor gimmick, knowing that at any point the entire security team could barge in my lair, and destroy everything i worked on (including my glorious pink hair). This constant sense of danger, and pumping of adrenaline is what makes traitor rounds memorable and fun. However if i know that no one is gonna care that I'm building this great doomsday-machine, then all it'll do is give me 30 minutes of tedious walking-around fetching stuff followed by 30 seconds of fun when the 30x30 explosion goes off.

TL;DR: People think I'm a bad HoS for killing traitors who shoot at me, i think otherwise. Also whole paragraphs filled with Pathos, cool!

Anyway i'd very much like to discuss the different schools of thought on this subject, why do you other HoS'es/Security-Officer-Aficionados think its wrong to shoot traitors. And also, for the record; this isn't some post telling everyone to kill every traitor ever for doing anything at all (like in 2012) but i do think that players and Head of Security folks have gotten this impression that the HoS HAS to play like a gentleman who mustn't touch their egun at all, or else they'll have broken some unwritten rule. Just remember that it's a choice to be a nice HoS, and that's absolutely fine to do, but it is totally also within a his right to kill you if you decide to shoot at him.

Messages In This Thread