Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Declaration Deploring Disestablished, Drunken Detectives
Not sure if I should put this in this forum or the Suggestions forum, but I'm putting it here just in case.

I was talking to a few friends over Skype about security and how I usually end up playing Detective, as I'm just not the right kind of spaceman for security. Not yet, anyways. A ways into the discussion, I ended up realizing that I never end up doing any actual detective things as the Detective; I just (try to) watch the cameras, down my booze, and provide commentary over the radio with varying levels of snark.

That's all fine and good, but it begs the question: If the security team already has all of the forensic tools and most of the gear that the detective already has, is there SUPPOSED to be a point to the detective, or is it more meant to be a flavor job like the Chef or the Chaplain? Is it supposed to be both? The only actual tools the detective has to himself are thermals, which are next to useless nowadays, and his gun, which is pretty cool but doesn't exactly lend itself to detective work, you know?

Maybe I'm taking the detective job more seriously than I should, but it only seems fair that they have something that makes him more than sec-lite with a fancy gun and cool outfit. Getting godawfully drunk and smoking enough cigarettes to render you a twitchy, vomiting mess is a perfectly fine way to spend the round, but every now and then, it's nice for me to be able to actually do some investigating and interrogating. Does anyone else here feel the same way, or am I just a complete nerd?

Messages In This Thread