Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Alchemical" transmutation sciencey stuff
From this bug thread : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3462

UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Splatpope Wrote:normally I'd be a "omg irrealistic pls fix" kind of guy but this is pretty amazing

instead of completely removing it, let's fix the bug but integrate this transmuation mechanic in something else more sensible with drawbacks and all
(i'm completely aware the purpose of the smelter is to make alloys, but i'm talking about literal transmutation, not just mixing stuff)
post this in suggestions.

alright

So yeah the idea is :

We have a machine that lets us mix different stuff to get a mix of their properties, what I suggest is a new and complementary one with which you could try to merge materials and/or additives to get entirely different materials. Basically, chemistry but with materials instead of reagents.

I can see it done in 3 different ways :
  • Keep the current materials and make it so that less fun and useful ones can be combined thanks to majik alchemical techniques to form better ones. This would probably translate into miners hauling shittons of useless shit to get very limited outputs of nice stuff. Basically : better materials are alloys made from lesser ones. (tbh i don't find this super sensible)
  • Introduce new, basically useless materials on their own but which are required when alchemically transmutating materials into better ones. It basically means that we don't add anything to the smelter area, but instead effectively smelt the useless new materials with the old ones. Basically : making a better material from a lesser one requires X,Y,Z,etc amounts of macguffin currency materials with useless properties.
  • Use reagents on materials in a special crucibley machine instead of combining materials. Regular olde timey alchemy in space I guess ? (this is fun because this gives the opportunity to bring in tons of new secret recipes) Basically Smelter 2.0 but additives turn materials into better ones instead of transferring their properties.
  • Maybe a lot more ways, but my imagination is crippled

The purpose of this new thingy ?
-> this way you can get any material you want (which is great since you can then make cool alloys in the smelter) with a little bit of work, knowledge and savvy from your part (and from QM/mning's too but heck they love hauling rocks anyways). View this as a kind of refining phase for all this smelter area thing.
-> this can also be an occasion to introduce new, bizarre materials that are unobtainable with mining and QM economics (probably already done but on a much much smaller case) and convey very fun and interesting properties

Also, I think that a lot of ores aren't really used when smelting just because they're pretty useless and this would probably give them a use, I guess, who knows

Of course, let's make this have dangerous and fun side effects for hilarity purposes. (and balance i guess erh)

Messages In This Thread