Complaint Feedback of flappybat (Katzen)
Admin: flappybat (Katzen)

Server: Forums, Goon1

Date(s): 4/1/2023(ish), 11/18/2023, 2/21/2024

Synopsis: In science wing and a traitor (wearing captains uniform) knocked me out. He threw me in a portasci with him, and when we teleported we mindswapped. My old body was in deep crit and he ended up dying. I had no clue that mindswapping was even a thing, and I was left in his body with antag weapons and an unlocked traitor PDA. I tried to ahelp to ask if I was an antag, to no avail. I made a TTV, intending to use it if I was given permission by admins. While walking through the hallways, I fell into a crusher teletrap (trap itself was on a corner of the map in disposals with one person actively being killed by the trap alongside me and several dead), where seemingly dozens of people had been killed. I decided to detonate the TTV, killing myself and destroying the teletrap. No other crewmates were killed, and shuttle left shortly after without the hole being fixed. I stuck around after the round in case an admin wanted to speak to me, but left when the new round started since I figured that was it. I also discussed this post round with other people, both in ooc in-game chat and post round discussions on the discord server.

I logged in soon after with a perm ban: TTVing disposals as non-antag. You have three years of self antagging and are job banned from science for self antag bombing as well as a job ban from security. You have had way too many warnings and punishments.

In the first appeal (November) I tried to highlight the fact that I truly had no idea what had happened during the mindswap, because I didn't. Katzen (flappybat) stated: "No I don't think so after six months. 'I only blew up one person and took out a teletrap' is a really weak justification for someone who got job banned for self antagging with bombs and job banned from sec. You had a lot less notes in 2023 than 2022 and 2021 but were still causing issues and have been noted and banned a LOT." 

This is true. When I first began playing, it was my first real introduction to a game like this. I didn't understand the social contract that went in to it, and predictably I broke a lot of rules early on. As time went on, my behavior got better. By the time of the ban, I had not had to appeal a ban in over 2 years. I admittedly had a few run ins with admins who requested me to stop doing something, and I did catch job bans for security and science for reckless behavior, but nothing even remotely as serious as my only previous perma.

In my most recent appeal I had a lot more time to reflect on the situation. I recognized that despite the fact that I ultimately didn't kill anyone who was already going to die, I negatively impacted the round overall. I broke the rules and in doing so ruined the efforts of a traitor. I would be pissed if I was a traitor, and someone did the same thing to my teletrap outside the bounds of the ruleset. That being said, mindswapping is a gimmick. The whole point is to essentially troll the parties involved. It has an extremely low chance of happening, and there needs to be some level of acknowledgement that a lot of players would also unknowingly act outside of the rules in that scenario.  I understand catching a temporary or appealable ban for it, but at the same time I really don't think this is a situation which indicates a relapse in my gameplay. I don't think it warrants a permanent ban without chance of appeal. Katzen/flappybat replied saying that I have too extensive of a history for them to grant the appeal.

I was a shithead in the past. I have been on this server since 2020 and have had multiple run ins with admins in my time playing. Each time, I have refined the way I play to try to avoid repeating those mistakes. I know that you have no obligation to grant my appeal. I know that every player making a ban appeal talks about how they have changed and how they have reflected on the situation and are better for it. I also know that I have a documented and proved track record of actually changing for the better during my time here on goonstation. I also know that if it was a player without an extensive history, you could have written it off as an honest mistake. Because that's what it was. I was genuinely and understandably convinced I could have taken the traitor's place as an antagonist. I shouldn't have made a TTV without admins clearing up the situation with me first, though. I also shouldn't have detonated the teletrap with it. Doing damage to the station--especially at that scale, regardless of lethality or reason, is inexcusable for a civilian role.

Extra information: I don't want their behavior reviewed seeing as Katzen has mostly been a very fair admin and they are simply using their judgement, I just want some level of acknowledgment to my comments instead of ghosting the thread again and making me wait another month for an appeal. I simply want to know what, if anything, I can do to prove that I am no longer a risk of self-antagging. I have made no ban subversion attempts.

I previously posted this in a private thread where only admins could view it. The post got 24 views and no responses after two and a half weeks.

Messages In This Thread
Feedback of flappybat (Katzen) - by JFellsie - 03-06-2024, 09:38 PM
RE: Feedback of flappybat (Katzen) - by Katzen - 03-07-2024, 11:24 AM
RE: Feedback of flappybat (Katzen) - by JFellsie - 03-08-2024, 10:21 PM
RE: Feedback of flappybat (Katzen) - by Cal - 03-07-2024, 01:58 PM