Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
On the subject of RP Security Officer access
I can see both sides to this honestly, in terms of enabling RP, but I'm of the belief of keeping things as they are. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the department that is supposed to be keeping the peace couldn't go into most of the departments, and as Chatauscours said, you're going to run into officers asking for AA every round, more reliance on the AI, or the already busy HoS is going to have to show up to every call in a department if the officers can't get someone to open the door.

Antagonists already have a lot of tools and tactics at their disposal to hide and evade security, and having a security force that can get into most places I think helps RP wise in this way. If someone is doing something questionable and ducks into a department and the officers can follow you, it usually makes for a good RP confrontation. It's all about the dialogue, and while you could be enabling more dialogue between crew and security, this seems like it would reduce it between security and the antagonists. Some of the best rounds I've had as sec was when we suspected someone, but they were always able to explain it, and thus led to some very good stories.

I do know this would be a bigger problem on Goon 4. It's mostly where I play, however very often from my understanding, there isn't a HoS, and many times no AI. You can also have understaffed departments, which means an officer could be waiting forever to get into someplace, or not at all.

Perhaps this more takes place on three, but I rarely see the security team isolated from the rest of the crew. Most officers will maintain patrols, and I always encourage them to stop and talk to people/the departments on the way, and I don't typically see officers leaving their lane. Not to diminish the direction of this thread, (and I say this entirely with absolute respect, and I mean no offense if this was not the intention of the thread) but it does seem like this goes back to the "sec vs. antags" discussions that come up a lot. "Sec is too strong/weak, give them this or take away that" with the same being brought up for antags. For me personally, I think as it is now is a good balance. Both sides have good tools and methods, while security remains a present threat (imo, a balanced one.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: On the subject of RP Security Officer access - by KingMorshu - 10-15-2023, 05:01 AM