Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Chaplain Mechanics (Brewing / Herbalism)
(09-22-2023, 02:24 AM)FlyzerMizer Wrote: While I like the idea of giving chap something new to do, what’s stopping this system from being abused by nerds and such? I don’t like the idea of turning chaplain into more of a validhunting role then it already is, granted chaplains only one thing (atleast in classic) is to essentially be a validhunter (you may say for only vamps, wizards, or wraiths, but they already get tons of super gamer gear that can deal with any antag). Also the chaplain already gets a very good healing item that can outheal space damage and it’s one downside can be negated by some holy water or mannitol. While a cool idea I just don’t see how it will stop nerds from abusing it (atleast on classic)

What's stopping any system to be abused by nerds? You can't come up with new mechanics without also introducing the concept of some people taking it too far. Values or results can be tweaked reactionary, and the system is meant to be less effective than chemistry, so I don't think it's a major concern.

(09-22-2023, 11:15 AM)Cal Wrote: Does not make sense for the chaplain to be brewing potions when the bartender and botany exist

Does not really make sense for Medbay to be creating their own medicine when Chemistry exists, and yet it was added likely partially because of QoL and because doctors have downtime between patients. Two departments overlapping (minorly, might I add) in some mechanics, particularly one that's exclusive to a single person who might not even be around is not a good reason not to introduce a mechanic because it shares surface-level similarities, imo

(09-22-2023, 02:00 PM)Decarcassor Wrote: Herbal medicine and brewing are already existing mechanics within botany & bartending that don't get tons of use simply because medbay and alcohool dispenser are more convenient in 99% of cases.

It would be nice if there was more incentive to seek naturopathy and home made booze, but I don't think it shoud be a chaplain thing.

They're not, though. Herbal medicine isn't really explored, that's precisely what this suggestion would do. I wouldn't mind if we give some similar tools to botany because there's a thematic overlap. And frankly, maybe this is more of a statement on the state of dispensers in the game which trivialize aspects of the game for very little benefit, Medbay in particularly is so stocked full of medicine that they hardly even need to touch the dispenser, let alone ask botany.

I'll accept though that you think it shouldn't be a chaplain thing, arguably there's some reach when it comes to coming up with mechanics for the role, but the entire point of the suggestion was to target systems in the game which are underutilized and fitting to a chaplain role, because that's currently a role that has very little to do in any given round save for unreliable emergencies that occur.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Chaplain Mechanics (Brewing / Herbalism) - by Glamurio - 09-26-2023, 01:49 AM