Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make damage knock you out of stamina-stuns
IMO this idea has some big issues: I think it's generally unintuitive that beating on a knocked out person should potentially help them considerably in a fight, like, stamina as a system isn't broadcasted to players extremely well and now you'd have to make it clear that hitting people who are knocked out (in specific ways) actually helps them up. I also think that there's lots and lots of ways to guarantee someone dies who's stunned that don't involve directly smacking them necessarily, to the point that I think stuns would *still* be very prevalent and strong for murder. To me, making a core system that's so important to understand in moment-to-moment gameplay more opaque for such a minor upside is just not worth it. It's genuinely the opposite of how I would intuitively think it should work from a "does this make sense in-world" perspective.

This is tangentially related, but I don't really agree with arguments that "Once you're stunned and being beat to death it's not very fun that you cannot do much about that" because like, the counterplay was *before* you got stunned and started being beat to death. The combat in this game is very fast and unforgiving, and if you're caught out alone in a situation where someone can smack you like that, then yeah, you lost. It's supposed to be fun *before* you lose, since it's so high stakes. I don't see "The 20 seconds you're being wailed on to death isn't very fun for you" as a huge problem because of that. And it's good that it takes a little bit to be killed with low-damage weapons, since if you have allies it gives them a chance to help you out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Make damage knock you out of stamina-stuns - by Flaborized - 08-13-2023, 08:51 AM