Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Preventing Cargo from draining the Rockbox
Has this ever happened to you? 

You're a miner, mining as usual. You put all your ores into the Rockbox, because you'd have to be crazy to store them anywhere else, and have them all set to "DO NOT SELL" because you're still working on getting your preferred equipment. But!! Avast!! A bohrum asteroid! 84 ores in total, you're all set! You dump it all in the funny orange cylinder and set it to "Sell;" you excitedly await to hear the crew's resounding silence on the matter! Whistling with your new bohrum hammer on your shoulder, you go back to the magnet.

You've just finished mining the last resource you need: Uqill! Now you can make Industrial Space Armor and totally pwn the debris field! You head back to mining HQ and slot the refined crystal into the fabricator. Ah, needs more Dense Metal-- No need to worry, you've got plenty of bohrum in the Rockbox! ... uh ... Well, you HAD plenty of bohrum in the Rockbox. In your short time away Cargo has completely bought out your stock of bohrum, the "0" in the Rockbox staring into your soul. You've nothing to make your beloved armor with, and there's absolutely no way for you to get it back, outside of hoping you stumble across more of the stuff. The crew has no access to it for THEIR purposes, either-- the Quartermasters have deprived the entire station of a valuable resource all to make a quick buck.

This is the equivalent of a clown walking up and eating all of the food on the Chef's counter, and it gets the same defensive argument: "If you didn't want it sold/eaten, why did you put it up for sale/on the counter?"To that, I say... I don't care whether it gets sold! I want it to be USED! Selling ores on the market exchanges a hard to find, directly valuable commodity for credits (which you can get easily regardless of whether you sell these commodities), credits that most often go towards a useless golden chair that only gets built as the shuttle arrives. This is a terrible, super lame trade. But, well, QMing isn't going to change just because I get butthurt and yell at QMs to be more considerate over the forums; I know better than to try to tell anyone they should care about other people.

Instead, I propose a third setting on the Rockbox: Minimum Stock. After an ore is bought down to a certain amount (e.g. a QM buying all but 10 of the bohrum in the Rockbox) it can't be bought from. The 10 ores left still show as available, and perhaps there'd be a button to request a number of ores to be freed up by mining, but it lets mining staff make the decision on what gets sold out. Talk to your miners today (They're lonely)!

OTHER SOLUTIONS, AND WHY I DON'T LIKE THEM

"Just make the price higher!"
The issue with this is that there is only one price that is too high for Cargo: Slightly higher than the price when it's a hot-market item. This puts the value of just about every ore (even Rock) in the hundreds. Isn't the whole point of the Rockbox (and indeed, of Mining as a whole) to share the fruits of your labor? What does it mean if the crew can't afford to use them in a timely fashion?

"Just don't sell!"
Why am I mining, then? So I can be the only one with samus armor and shiny spear and glowing hammer? Doing this makes mining worse than genetics. Boo.

"Just store ores outside the Rockbox!"
The Rockbox is such a powerful organizational tool that I scoff at the notion. This requires me to put in a lot more work -- budgeting how many ores I need, finding a safe place to put them where they won't get picked up by my ore scoop --  all to fix a problem caused by the bad behavior of an entire separate department.

"What if we reworked the Rockbox to distribute materials on an as-needed basis to fabricators, and force ore-selling to be on a request basis?"
This one is pretty cool, but I worry it'd be difficult to implement without putting the sell-out capabilities in the hands of the crew (making way more sheets than they need because it's all free). Maybe there's a way to make it work, but this is too dramatic of a change for me to advocate for it fully.

This post makes sense to me logically, but it comes from an ugly, spiteful, and bitter place in my heart. It's possible I care too much about the farting simulation game! Take what's said here with a grain of salt.

Messages In This Thread
Preventing Cargo from draining the Rockbox - by mintyphresh - 06-06-2023, 06:51 PM