Mentor Application: RubberRats (Sergeio Favero)
Usual character name: Sergeio Favero, rarely a handful of others
BYOND username: RubberRats
Discord username (if you are on our discord): RubberRats#8419
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: 4 and sometimes 3

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I have thought about this for a long time. Over the more than two years that I have been playing this game, it always makes me happy when I get to show a clearly new player a few pointers on their job. Nowadays, opportunities for me to do that are relatively sparse (Usually I go detective so 4 can have at least some security), though I still try to give some advice when I see someone struggling with their job.

One of my formative experiences with this game was being taught advanced engine setups back on Classic. A CE had latejoined on me working the TEG, did a few things to massively improve output, and offered to teach me how he did it. The next round he took me and a few other engineers and showed us all how to create a pipeburn. That was the experience that got me hooked on the game, and many months were had of engineer crews speedrunning in the quest for ever-higher power outputs. For the first time, I felt like I had a place in this game. I am applying for mentor because I want more opportunities to pass forward an experience like that.
I have made a few applications in the past, which have gotten sparse, mixed feedback. In the ~year since, I have undergone a lot of growth, and while I am far from perfect, I feel that I am more apt for this role than I have ever been.

The majority of my experience is in Engineering, Mining, Security, Janitorial, and Command, though I have at least an intermediate understanding of most jobs.
  • As an engineer, I understand the mechanics of all current engine types. This runs fairly deep, and I have devised high-output setups for both the singularity and the fission reactor. As previously mentioned, I have done pipeburns in the past, but that knowledge is a bit out of date at this point. I know how to use mechcomp, and have even built a few practical devices for it, such as an automated turbine control. I know how to do a bunch of miscellaneous repair work, though on RP there are not very many opportunities for that.
  • As a miner, I know how to avoid getting blown up and/or die to radiation exposure. I have experience in all forms of mining, including the magnet, trench/asteroid mining, pod mining, and the harmonic siphon, if you want to count that. I understand matsci, and how it applies to the tools I use. Mining is a role I usually take to relax, though having another person to bounce off of makes it much more entertaining. Showing people a few tricks I picked up to make things easier never gets old.
  • Most of my security experience is as a detective, though I will go officer sometimes. I have been playing this department a lot recently, because I feel that rounds with no security are a bit painful. I know how to use almost all of the equipment, including writing tickets, setting people to arrest, setting brig timers, and performing forensics. I have a particular aptitude with using forensics, in conjunction with the other scan functions on the detective PDA, to gather information and fill out a case. There have been a few times where I have taken a random crew under my wing as Junior Detective, and spent the entire round with them showing them the basics of security alongside a few more advanced uses of forensics.
  • I spent almost a year virtually no-lifing the janitor role. While I am less than proud of my conduct during that period, it still represents a significant chunk of my time here, and I have a lot of experience with the role. I at one point held a high rank on the leaderboard and am very familiar with all the quirks of the janitor equipment.
  • As command, I try to do a check in with every department I am responsible for early in the shift. If I see someone struggling with their job, I set aside some time to teach them. On occasion, someone approaches me directly for help. I am always happy to help, assuming I am not urgently needed elsewhere.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None, to my knowledge.

Messages In This Thread
Mentor Application: RubberRats (Sergeio Favero) - by RubberRats - 05-26-2023, 04:01 PM