Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Traits to get you into medbay more.
(03-20-2023, 04:44 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Discuss away, rename things, change things. I don't mind. I just think traits are a better idea then nerfing doctoring.

While i like the idea of traits, i heavily disagree with that assessment. But i also think medbay does not need nerfs to their main healing task of the 4 damage types, more in what is around that and busted as hell (like the cryopod and cloner changes, which i appreciate a lot. People are still sleeping on cloning records).

You got these traits. But what will they change in general? Organ damage? Surgeries are easier and faster than chem healing. Diseases? Thanks to the hell that is disease code, you either cannot contain diseases within the population or heal them with a single chem injection.

What they have in common is, maybe except for surgeries, they don't make people deviate from their plan. They are problems medbay got the solutions for. What makes people stop and talk with the doctors is if the problem is not directly apparent or hard to solve. Like a cyberpancreas you got while you are allergic to sugar. Or mutations. Or being drunk and poisoned (i love the antihol recipe). Or a ricin and mirabilis mix in a person.

Treating the problem is not the problem. Finding it, the anamnesis, should be a problem as well. And most QOL of doctors make this very, very hard to implement.

Traits can deliver this as well. But only if the systems support that. Here are some things i have in mind.

Overstimulating mind: stimulating chems (synap, meth, epi, coffee) have a greater effect on your stamina. However, adding too many stimulants (2+) causes brain damage (higher than synaps healing).

The cure to handle it is mannitol. But it's a non-expectet difficulty that is added by doctors stacking chems ir randomly appearing.

Aldehyde hydrogenase deficiency (give it a fancy name for an overdrive of the alcohol flush syndrome): overdosing on alcohol causes an acetaldehyd buildup as well.

This causes doctors a bit more headaches since suddenly you have alcohol intoxication stacking with burn damage.

Purgative resistance: flusher chems (calomel, hunchback, pent acid, haloperidol, smelling salts) work only with 33% effectivity.

This makes you resistant to getting your stims drained, but makes getting poisoned much more worse. Suffering less damage from calomel is nice while healing less from pent acid is bad. And ricin is even more a death sentence than it already would be.

Messages In This Thread
Traits to get you into medbay more. - by Kotlol - 03-20-2023, 04:44 AM
RE: Traits to get you into medbay more. - by Cal - 03-20-2023, 04:51 AM
RE: Traits to get you into medbay more. - by Lord_earthfire - 03-20-2023, 06:26 AM