Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
[CLOSED PR] Removes numbers from health scanners on RP
I'm aggressively neutral on this. Zamujasas points are very good and people have brought up a lot of fair criticism. Obfuscating values will make the new player experience more difficult, as you won't know if your medicines are increasing or decreasing the value. You have no way of knowing whats going on, so might as well dump them full of charcoal and menders to speed up the change from FATAL to something lesser.

That said, I'm not against a change to the way the analyzers display their information. Nobody is 100% healthy. 40 brute and 40 toxin aren't equally severe. Brain damage is often missed by new players. It's all very handwavey.
We don't need to overhaul the way damage and the health system works by any means, but giving them RP hypernerd units as TDHooligan suggested is at least a good start to alleviate the gamerspeak symptom. People won't go around shouting "HELP I HAVE 200 BRUTE" and ruin your immersion if we change how its displayed.

Oxygen saturation is already a medical measurement and is close to 100% for healthy individuals, so we can just steal that and simplify it. 100% is good, 0% is bad and negative is really bad. Don't like having negative percentages but showing a 0% while their oxy damage keeps getting worse is probably no good. 
For toxins we can probably just use a scifi term that measures damage caused by toxins, since I don't know any good scales or measurements. 
Brain damage I'd really like to either be part of the main health scanner damage values, or at least show up bigger and with less obfuscation. 

(now if we want to nerf health analyzers for RP and make people use penlights and stethoscopes, then I'm interested, lets give analyzers long action bars and require use on different parts of the body for specific info)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Removes numbers from health scanners on RP - by Soleil - 03-20-2023, 02:14 AM