Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
On Cyberorgans, Synthorgans, and Surgery
Hm. This is actually more or less what I expected, believe it or not.

While I unfortunately don't really have a proposed solution for how to improve surgery as a process (I'd need to play as a doctor to be comfortable making those suggestions), I did have a few ideas for making synthorgans more relevant. Since surgery (as I'm understanding it) is mostly an elective process, and people with organ failure are far more likely to simply be cloned rather than undergo surgery, then I'd propose having Synthorgans give buffs to their user that scale depending on how high the potency stat of their parent plant was. I've got a couple of fun ideas for that, but I won't get into them here. Basically, since having synthorgans around for regular or emergency organ transplants isn't really a "thing," even though they can technically be considered a direct upgrade from regular organs, having them potentially give cool buffs could incentivize them to be grown and given to Medbay. (That is not to say synthorgans are useless - synthlimbs in particular are a godsend in my opinion, and the other synthorgans allow for mass-cooking of certain meals that would otherwise require an unfeasible amount of human or cyber organs.)

I was not aware of how prevalent self-surgery was. I've seen it done to remove bomb shrapnel or bullets, but I was not aware that people replaced their organs via self-surgery. That's pretty grody, actually...and given that most of the people coming into Medbay to try and do surgery on themselves probably don't have the medical training trait, I'd imagine they take up a lot of medical supplies just patching themselves up.

The stigma about cyberorgan transplants is also not surprising, but I think it's a little unfair given that SS13 is a nightmarish hellscape of death, and every crewmember could use a leg-up in terms of staying alive. Also, since traitor items exist, I'd figure that antags would be less inclined to get cyberorgans - after all, they can already buy power with their TC. But who knows.

Suspicions about other people doing surgery on you are also understandable...I wonder, perhaps there could be a "Licensed Surgeon" medal/achievement with an associated piece of clothing that players could redeem if they had proven themselves to be competent surgeons? Maybe like an Adventure-Zone or debris field thing, where you have to enter a Surgical VR simulation and successfully operate on a bunch of patients, and if you complete the challenge you get the medal. You wouldn't know if the person operating on you is an antag, but at least you'd know that they can do surgery correctly.

In any case, thank you all for voicing your opinions. I'd love to hear more people chip into this discussion, please keep the comments coming!

Messages In This Thread
RE: On Cyberorgans, Synthorgans, and Surgery - by RelentlessGarbage - 02-08-2023, 05:31 AM