HoS Application - Operative Paladin (LadyGeartHeart)
While i have a few direct interactions as a player myself, i had some occasions as bystander where paladins behaviour struck me as somewhat unnecessarily escalating by too direct and non-communicative action. And i can see how this results out of the character operative paladin. She is a direct and somewhat distanced/cold character, from my experience. But while that really plays well as a secoff, i have my doubts that this isn't detrimental to the round as a HOS. These kind of secoffs are normally what a HOS needs to keep in check because of that escalation potential and the potential to shut down antags too quick and turn a round into extended.

While i didn't had the best examples of what that could turn into, we had yesterday a round which i can really use as an example:

It began with me goofin' around to find a somewhat consistent method to create cluwne chickens and find sone advanced stuff about chickens (need to reproduce it but i made some interesting observations). I got the chickens, talked with the AI about it a bit, build a glass enclosure around them and got cluwnified while trying to feed these little devils. I sealed the enclosure and was pondering how to work with the containment, scare people somewhat and interact with the inevitable sec that will arrive. That was when paladin arrived first, followed by a clown sec. Since cluwnes are fair game and considered to be suffering, operative didn't pondered as long as me and stunned me down, grabbed and dragged me into medbay for debraining and cloning. My biggest gripe with that was simply the missing interaction. Well, which were not baton hits while i was on the operation table so i had absolutely no chance to interact much with the doctor besides honking. Like that was completely fine IC behavior, but it mostly left me out as a player.

What happened in the meantime, since now the cluwne chicken enclosure was left without supervision, was that the clown secoff breached containment and got cluwnified. And that one went running through the whole station. On the other hand, while i was in the cloner and my body pulped, someone was able to grab some cluwne gamergear ™ and got cluwnified as well. Then a GBS pandemic hit the station and everything from then on went downhill (and i proceed to find a funny disposal pipe ride straight into the singulo, go figure)

Just to demonstrate what i am trying to say: the quick decision to end the cluwnes life was on the one side correct, on the other a more collected approach to access the situation would not only have brought more satisfying interaction between you and the other player in question, but also not have escalated the situation that drastically. You even said post-game that you really don't like cluwnes and i think this mechanistic approach to them is part for the reason.

And i don't blame you for that whole chain of events that round, don't understand me wrong there. The point is more that i expect a HOS to step back and let other people shine for a while. That includes letting other officers be heard or interacting with antags or goofball crewmember. And i my current problem is that i am unsure about operative paladin there and i don't kniw if it's the character or you as a player. So overall that would be a -/+0 from me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HoS Application - Operative Paladin (LadyGeartHeart) - by Lord_earthfire - 11-22-2022, 03:10 AM