Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MarkNstein's thoughts on character-creation and antag-behaviour in SS13
Very new player here, only played about a month so far (joined mid-october). For new players, like me, antag rounds seem far and few between though as time goes on I notice the gaps less and less. However, when I first rolled antag I did want to be loud and proud but noticed something with security, especially in the more peak hours. It tends to be that the moment you show your hand a lot of sec are rather heavy-handed in that they will pull out the baton first without any real talk and hit you with a 30 second stunlock before you even get a word out. All in the name of 'interrogation'. Even when cornered and no escape and you WANT to roleplay it out. Especially when cornered with no escape.

Being new I have not really learned much in the ways of tricks, yet, or how combat works so this tended to be the end. As such I started to try to play a lot more stealthy and, at times, nearly pacifistic. Players with YEARS more experience in the ways of the stick make it rather difficult. I have had a couple good moments (RP wise), and a couple good chases, but I usually find even if you want to roleplay it it becomes 'nope, you're going to talk in the interrogation room, not here.' Though said in action rather than words.. and once you're in that interrogation room it's usually 'You're caught. You're [insert antag here]. Brig.'

I know to some they likely think that the 45 seconds - 5 minutes in the brig is not so bad and you'll be out and on your spree again, but to me I feel as though as an antag I should not think like that. I want to roleplay the entire event, even the getting cornered and trying to talk my way out or figure out a way to escape. It's especially hard since it seems so easy for people to figure out who you are with the tools granted to security. One blown APC or one mistaken grab and they either have your fingerprints or glove prints and instantly know it's you.

I will also admit that I feel guilty killing people outright. I have had a couple rounds where, as changeling, I ate someone and they were rather not happy about it. I probably shouldn't care so much but to hear their frustration in the hivemind made it difficult and stressful, especially when you know they likely think they could be doing a better job than you. (This goes beyond antag, as well, in attitude. I have noticed quite a few with the thought of 'stay out of my way, I know everything better than you do' but that discussion would be for a different thread.)

I dunno, there's likely more to say but that's just a new player's opinion on things currently. Hard to roleplay with a secoff that's out for blood and knows exactly who you are and isn't willing to listen. The moment they see that speech bubble or ellipsis it's over and they win (or that's usually what their actions seem to speak toward) and I dislike that mentality.

Messages In This Thread
RE: MarkNstein's thoughts on character-creation and antag-behaviour in SS13 - by Rhassalan - 11-22-2022, 11:02 AM