Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MarkNstein's thoughts on character-creation and antag-behaviour in SS13
I used to be big on making grandiose plans. Typically, I just made swarms of syndicate robots, performed assassinations, killed people who slighted me, and above all, rogued the AI. My characters reason for this was simply my character is two people. One of them was a loyal, brainwashed, morally corrupt and ethnically banrkupt person who had their own ideology buy weas completely convinced that this was fine.

Roleplay rounds play out longer then classic. And often different. While I know many people enjoyed the chaos and grandstanding i could bring, I felt it created this sort of....

Let us call performance hole, for me. I felt I had become pidgeonholed by expectation and action, and I didn't think me doing the same evil scheme(s) all the time was 'fun' for everyone else. One of my rounds something I did not make happen, but by my action, created the opportunity, to happen, and I felt it soiled the round.

But also, I made a mistake, in a way. Or a blessing?

I developed the villian character. My Syndisona became a person and not a strawman. This left my normal brand of evil and wickedness feeling....Wrong.

So I unsigned from the most common antags types. I signed off everything, then slowly added a few back.

Paladin is not a murder master when she is an antag. But I do like to use it to represent just how hard it is for her to ACT as the goodwilled and empathic officer she has become. That its not natural to her, and that deep down no matter how much she wants to change, she is still in her own eyes at least, a murderer.

When I antag now I've moved towards other gimmicks then the big kills. I still kill if I think its dramatic, or interested. I take or steal anything I decide to take or steal. And I take on anything and anyone that fits within the padagrim of what she considers something she would..well. Kill.

Since my change from super villian to morally grey, I have made people doubt their beliefs, given tours and pitches for syndicate recruitment, argued against ethics, assasisnated or murdered people, sold illegal weapons, and taught people how to be better criminals.

If I get an antag role and a situation thats suited to a silent killer, I will go for that, or a loud killer. But the nature of combat, and the antag types I have enabled, makes any attempt at 'loud' a short run till I'm gang stomped by tasers.

If I am my ALT, however, she's just horrible when she's an antag. I mostly concentrate on ruining the station but give her an avenue and she'll bite.

But for me it's not just the 'kill' I like anymore, it's the tension.

That SAID? the loud antag is a treat. And never feel compelled to overthink it if you don't want to! Canon is what you make of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: MarkNstein's thoughts on character-creation and antag-behaviour in SS13 - by Silent Majority - 11-15-2022, 01:39 AM