Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Of Flocks and Blobs - Quarantine / Shuttle Calls
I am here to make a hot take, I think when there is a Blob or a Flock on station, calling the shuttle should be disabled. Both Blobs and Flocks automatically end the round if they reach their win condition. (500 tiles for Blob) (Relay for Flock)

I feel like it goes contrary to these antagonists and it's unfair to the players that have rolled these antags, for players to just decide "Oh I don't want to deal with this, call shuttle." the second they see one. I feel like the crew owes it by being good sports to try and actually fight them.

Some people will probably argue that "Oh this will make rounds drag on forever!" No, not really, if the antag is so unstoppable, it should reach its objective at a decent rate, and if not- then it dies and you can call shuttle once the Quarantine is lifted. So, if you want specifics, this is what I think should happen.

Blob/Flock (Either Or) Spawns

If a shuttle is attempted to be called while a Flock or Blob is Alive/Active, it will be denied. It will also give a station announcement. "Shuttle Request Denied due to Blah-blah-Hazard on Station" This will alert the crew that this thing exists, and that they have to deal with it, and actually play along with the gamemode antag instead of avoiding it.

Exceptions? If people are really paranoid of this somehow making neverending rounds by say, a single flockdrone hiding in space. The quarantine could only be enforced if the enemy is of a decent size, (At least X amount of blob tiles, or X amount of living flock drones) or the quarantine can automatically be lifted if the antag was in a "stalemate" for a prolonged period of time. I still do not think this would really happen in my opinion, because if a stalemate is occuring, both sides still have enough players/resources to keep playing, which means the gamemode is working as intended.

TL;DR - We should encourage players to actually deal with these antags instead of just deciding to call the shuttle and give up. That feels unfair to people who enjoy the gamemode, and the antagonist themselves.

Messages In This Thread
Of Flocks and Blobs - Quarantine / Shuttle Calls - by TheMaskedMan2 - 11-07-2022, 12:42 AM