Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
[CLOSED PR] Add new trigger to ion storm to scramble ID cards
(10-19-2022, 09:24 PM)Victoriae Wrote: I've been thinking about this PR the last few days and I think I was a little harsh and should have provided better feedback.

First, pitching the idea as 'something for the HoP to fix' clearly got a backlash. Let's be real: Ion Storm hits 40 minutes in, there's like an 80% chance HoP is doing whatever wherever god-knows-what. Framing it as a new ion storm whacky-thing-it-does got far more positive feedback. 

Second, I do genuinely think this will negatively newer players who don't know how to fix things. Security officer gets hit? Already has lots of access, won't care. Botanist gets hit? Lost access to his workplace, probably doesn't know why, probably doesn't know how to fix it.

Consider having the ion storm instead target door access requirements (req_access) - instead of security's front door opening to security, now it only opens to the rancher! Turns the issue from a personal issue to a problem solving issue. By making it affect a whole team you can at least decide on a solution together ("Got tools?" "yeah"). 

Also would give HoP's door access changer (AccessPro) ([Image: AccessProSec.png]) an actual purpose beyond messing around. (Not that they will start using it...)

Third, scrambling names is a good idea. Easy and harmless way of messing with people.

I do want to see this idea come into the game somehow, so please don't throw it in the trash.

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. It's definitely something I've come to notice, people are oftentimes weirdly adamant about what changes are okay and which aren't, and branding seems to make most of the difference.

As for newer players, yes, it obviously impacts newer players. So do other things in the game, though. If you mess with access to doors and the rancher suddenly doesn't know how to open his door anymore, how is that any different from him losing access? The problem is the exact same, he'll have to go and ask someone else. And having to reverse engineer which job opens which door sounds potentially more frustrating than simply having to get your accesses fixed, not to mention that both of the solutions involve the HoP, so this fact remains unchanged.

Anyhow, I don't mind scrapping the access part of the PR for now and resubmitting it with only the name scrambling. It's not entirely harmless though, as previously mentioned, because banks are tied to ID names, so if your bank account name differs from the ID you're using, it won't allow you to access it. And with the current state of banking, nobody's able to manipulate bank access either, so while I could fix this issue by changing bank + ID name, reverting the name on the ID now means they won't be able to access their bank again.

I'm going to be pushing some bank fixes first and revisit this PR at a later point in time, but I think the ID shenanigans are a lot of harmless fun indeed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CLOSED PR] Add new trigger to ion storm to scramble ID cards - by Glamurio - 10-20-2022, 05:55 AM