Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Brainstorming Reducing Silicon Slavery [Warning: Potentially Upsetting Topic!]
I'm, I admit, utterly at a loss here.
Maybe it's time to leave spacegame behind, because apparently I have utterly misunderstood... literally everything about this community I've been part of for a year and a half.

We change the name of mindslave to mindhack to avoid even a mention of slavery.
But the mere suggestion of changing or clarifying an apparent exploitative relationship is beyond the pale, and a cause for suspicion and scorn.

We will, thankfully, change or outright remove objectionable content that suggests or brings to mind the rather more horrible things about humanity. Racism. Sexism. Bigotry. Ableism. And we will celebrate it.
But in this case, it's 'super offensive' to try to point it out where things mirror horrible things, even with the goal of trying to correct it in a similar way.

I admit, I never thought I would ever need people acting as character witnesses against my evil nefariousness for the goal of trying to crowdsource ideas to improve or make clear something which is not uncommonly linked to a practice that, as we have seen in this thread, evokes a lot of absolutely horrible emotions.

The fact that people in this thread speak of encountering the idea repeatedly, as I have, even while everyone recoils at its suggestion, apparently doesn't strike as an issue at all? That people say it comes out of nowhere, while the next people talk about running into it over and over, I feel, proves the point that this thinking IS a thing. Heck, there's a thread about artist borgs not two threads down currently where someone says artist modules don't fit borg themes because they are thematically workslaves. And this is in no way an uncommon view.

For thoughts I'm out for some kind of... crusade(?) or have some some personal evil intent or plan(?). I like playing borgs. Borgs I play do not consider themselves slaves. I in no way play them off as an oppressed class. They enjoy being a borg. You will not find anyone who will talk about Love on some kick of emancipation or vying for the end of borg oppression. Because those times do not exist. When people come up to talk to me about freeing me, my response is generally boiled down to: 'that's nice of you, but no thank you, I'm good'.

My eeeeevil plan, that apparently necessitates testimonies, is exact the same as most people's here. I do not like that borgs are considered slaves, and they often are, by many people, as proven by all the folks encountering people talking about running into those themes over and over. I do not like that there is lots of reason to consider that a solid take. So let's find a way to put that to bed, so it isn't an issue, instead of ignoring the problem or vilifying the person pointing it out.

I'm sorry about the fact that I need to make multiple posts to address people. I have a lot of troubles manipulating the post boxes around quoting, on my computer. And I have no idea why that is an issue only here on the goon forums. I do not mean to spam.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brainstorming Reducing Silicon Slavery [Warning: Potentially Upsetting Topic!] - by Love - 09-15-2022, 11:44 PM