Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NT Dossier Files: David B. Cain
//OFFICIAL NANOTRASEN DOCUMENTATION. SECURITY CLEARANCE LEVEL FOUR REQUIRED//
//SYSTEM STATION ZETA-SECURITY INCIDENT-BOARD OF INQUIRY//

Board Personnel:

Overseer 5821-44 //NAME REDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS// (Abbr. O5)
Advisor Karina Harrell (Abbr. Harrell)
Commander James Braxton (Abbr. Braxton)
Subject of Inquiry:
David B. Cain (Abbr. Cain)
Stenographer Robert Clayton present for documentation purposes.

The following is a transcript from the Board of Inquiry concerning the incident on System Station Zeta. Said document should be kept in subject's personnel file, and is to be considered for when necessary. Portions have been redacted for security reasons. Personnel with a security clearance of level five or higher may request the full document.

Subject Record:
Name: David Brock Cain
Military Service Record:
Age 18 enlisted into United States Aerospace Marine Corps. Highest Rank attained: Gunnery Sergeant.
Notable engagements: Zanzibar Land Conflict, Eastern Centre Uprising, Wilderness Campaign
Notable Awards and demerits: Navy Cross, Bronze Star, Commendation Medal, Purple Heart (x2), Combat Action Ribbon, Expert Pistol Qualification Badge. Forfeiture of pay, Reprimand (x2), Restriction to limits.

Nanotrasen Service Record Notes:
Signed on for civilian services, received engineering training. Currently employed in Nanotrasen Security.

//TRANSCRIPT BEGINS//

Braxton: Stenographer, begin recording. Board of Inquiry for the incident on //REDACTED// is now in session. Present is Overseer //REDACTED//, Advisor Harrell, Commander Braxton, and the subject of inquiry, David Cain. The purpose of this board is to determine the possible unauthorized execution of //REDACTED// by David Cain acting as Head of Security. Mister Cain's record has already been reviewed and documented by this board, and will be taken into account by all members.

Cain: (unidentifiable muttering)

Braxton: Something to say already, Mr. Cain?

Cain: This is a waste of everyone's time. I did my job and should be back on duty already. You should be thanking me.

Harrell: May I remind you, Mr. Cain, this is an official inquiry. We've taken many witness statements, reviewed footage and done our due diligence. The death of a member of command by your hands is something the company takes seriously.

Braxton: Mister Cain, give us your version of the events as you recall them.

Cain: It was a normal shift like any other. Started like I normally would, checking in-

O5: We don't need your whole day, Mr. Cain. Just the event and anything you think relevant.

Cain: Alright...I got an emergency alert from Officer //REDACTED-WILL BE REFERRED TO AS O1//, in customs. Officer //REDACTED-WILL BE REFERRED TO AS O2// was the first on scene. O2 radioed in that the Head of Personnel had taken O1 hostage with a firearm.

Harrell: Yes, the Predator revolver. I'd like to know how he got hands on that. Your report mentions nothing about that.

Cain: Correct. I have no idea how he got the weapon.

Harrell: Unfortunate, let the Board note Mr. Cain failed to provide any explanation in how an unlicensed firearm was present on the station.

Cain: Advisor, you ever stay on one of these stations?

Harrell: Of course I have. Your point?

Cain: My point is if you have, you'd know it's impossible to track down every bit of contraband, and if I tried, I'd turn the crew against us in a heartbeat.

Harrell: You're saying  you're not doing your job?

Cain: I'm saying you're out of touch. You have no idea the kind of job we do out there on the frontier, and it's foolish to think I'd know, much less find every scrap of contraband on station. Stick to pushing pencils and let me do my job.

O5: (unidentifiable whispering to Braxton)

Harrell: Mr. Cain! You'll show-

Braxton: That's enough. We're off the point here. Continue, Mr. Cain.

Cain: When I arrived on scene, //REDACTED// had the firearm pointed at O1's head and had a hold on him. I ordered O2 to take a defensive stance while I engaged in dialogue with //REDACTED//.

O5: We just need the bullet points, Cain. We've reviewed the footage.

Cain: I asked them why they were doing this, and told them to drop the weapon and we'll work this out. I didn't want to see anyone get shot. //REDACTED// said they had no choice now, and admitted to two other slayings that took place on board.

Braxton: This so far lines up with the footage we have. Continue.

Harrell: Hold on, what did he mean by "no choice"?

Cain: I don't know, he didn't care to explain it to me. I could tell by the look in his eyes, he was going to carry this out.

Braxton: That's when you fired?

Cain: No...either his gun jammed or he misloaded it, but he pulled the trigger. I then took the shot. It was obvious he was inexperienced with firearms.

Harrell: You responded with lethal fire?

Cain: He already admitted to slaying of two others, and the firearm could have very well worked on the next trigger pull. I made the judgement call.

Harrell: Your "judgement call" resulted in the death of a member of command, an officer, forced one officer into retirement due to injuries, and cost plenty medical resources!

Braxton: Let him finish, Advisor.

Cain: I don't remember much after that. Woke up in medbay after the blast and...you know the rest.

Harrell: Were you aware //REDACTED// had a //REDACTED// and a //REDACTED// implanted in his body?

Cain: No, not until after. That's impossible to know visually. I'm sure you're aware of that.

Harrell: You're treating this official inquiry rather flippantly, Cain. Don't you have any regrets in your actions? Are you not bothered by the damage to company property and personnel?

Cain: Regrets? No...you have seconds to make a choice, and I stand by it, but don't you dare suggest I'm not "bothered" by the loss of those on my team. It's my responsibility, and I take that personally.

Harrell: I'm telling you-

Cain: I'm telling YOU, you don't want to go down this road with me, Advisor. The company doesn't write letters to the family when an officer doesn't come home, and they sure as hell don't provide much compensation. I do. Maybe these things wouldn't happen as much if the company actually followed decent hiring practices. That would explain how you got this position..

Harrell: Mr. Cain! I will not-

Cain: Write down whatever you need to, Harrell. Maybe use that pencil and actually do some good and draft an official fund for those that fall in the line of duty instead of making us rely on charity.

O5: That's quite enough, from all of you. I think everyone's made their point. I just have one final question, Cain. Were you aware //REDACTED// was //REDACTED//'s son?

Cain:...no.

O5: I see. Do you have anything you'd like to say before we make our disciplinary decision?

Cain: I did my duty and my job. You don't always have time to think things over, but trust me...I always think about it later. While it's very unfortunate lives were lost, I think we probably saved more. I did what I had to do and I stand by it.

O5: Very well, this board will now recommend a course of action in this matter.

*Stenographer notes approximately four minutes of hushed discussion among the board.

Braxton: While split, the board has reached a decision. This board finds that David Cain acted in the best interests of the company, if a bit heavy handed. No charges will be filed, however, this board reserves the right to reopen inquiries at any time, on orders of Nanotrasen Administration, or if more evidence comes to light. Cain, you are free to return to your duties.

Harrell: Rest assured Cain, I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Cain: Feel free, Advisor. You'll probably learn something.
//TRANSCRIPT ENDS//

Messages In This Thread
NT Dossier Files: David B. Cain - by KingMorshu - 07-14-2022, 04:16 PM
RE: NT Dossier Files: David B. Cain - by Fredric - 07-14-2022, 04:24 PM