Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.88 Average
[MERGED PR] Scaling pipe leakage
(please forgive me, i created a forum account just to talk about this) (other thing is, english is not my main language, forgive me if i made a lot of things that doesn't make sense with poor grammar)

A regular in engineering here. Tried the usual method of pipeburning alongside other engineers, and much to our dismay, it did not work. I am aware about this PR when it was first lodged, but waived it and ignore until it finally happened.  space bear

The idea of having a new visual cue and scaling on the pipeburst sounds good in paper for non-engineers, but for us, it instead creates way more headaches than what the PR probably originally meant for. To quote Cherman0, so far TEG gave the most power output without the hassle of setting things continuously in a long run (hotspot needs constant effort to stack and create doppler effect, singulo needs to be regularly fed for high output) and 80% of the map in rotation runs on TEG, making it one of the most popular option to create "easy" money and power. 

To run TEG, one must know that higher temp + pressure (+ molarity for the nerds like me) = higher power. We have vents to usually relief the pressure manually or instead use the auxiliary canister hook/pressure tank to brute force it. With the PR implemented, it creates this uncontrollable pressure outtake with the only option to fix it or let it slip and slide with high outtake. With TEG needing high pressure to create power, this will inevitably happen: pipe bursts, engineers fix, pipe burst again due to pressure. Sure, I truly enjoy spending my time in the engine room, but really, it does not give leeway for engineers to fix other calls such as breaches, down APC, especially with the constantly low-count of engineers. Not to mention for the unitiated, pipes will always push you across and around without magnetic boots. It makes fixing harder and possibly kills young engineers with the unfixable-hot gasses, now more intense.

It screws with molarity too with the scaling pipe burst, and thus ultimately wasting a lot of precious canisters to bump the molarity up. Lucky if there's miners ready to mine, most of the time miners are scarce or in no luck looking for the much-needed ores. Combine all of it and what you get is probably constant headache from TEG dying, responses to other calls, and actually dying from unfixable engine bursts.

Granted, there are some people really hate engineers when they're doing high-burns since it could scorch the station end to end (cough sorry for that) but slowly, engineers learn from one to another how to insulate properly. It's part of the high risk = high reward system, with the satisfaction of making the station proud with 1 million moolahs from PTL. An update where there should be more ways to create a lot of money through PTL (since PTL only makes considerable amount of money when reaching gigawatts), an update where probably the entry barrier to run the engine is lower therefore adding crew to help out in the engine, and mostly, an update where skill really rewards you (which is the PTL and GLORRRYY) would be better.

With this update, at least 2 medals went down the drain (Jiggawatts and "For your Ohm good"). Trying with the option meant for hellburn chamberburn (molitz B) is very finnicky too. Ask RD, extract gas, and you probably finally start the engine at 30-35 minutes mark. Not to mention the RNG-based ore collecting and miners being pretty rare (and no guarantee the oxy B could even work). And that is if there's an RD who knows what they're doing. And it loops back to wasting pressure and unfeasible since pipes will always vent too much air at high temps.

I just want to see funny numbers go brrrrr from trial and error. With the new update, my recent experience has been a massive pain, possibly driving away more gameplay around engine. If we really need to buy a singulo/wait for hotspot rotation to create much power, why TEG? The nerf felt too much, might as well set up solars and let PTL collecting dust.

Small edit: clarification and grammar

TL;DR: This update makes engineers babysit the engine too much and really discourage making high-yield burns since pressure will always drop down.

Messages In This Thread
[MERGED PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by github_bot - 05-11-2022, 09:50 PM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Kotlol - 05-12-2022, 04:02 AM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Ikea - 05-12-2022, 04:50 AM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Azrun - 05-12-2022, 07:45 AM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Ikea - 05-12-2022, 01:49 PM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by nefarious6th - 05-12-2022, 02:55 PM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Splints - 05-15-2022, 08:58 AM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Confuseddp - 05-17-2022, 06:04 PM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Jakson - 05-17-2022, 06:59 AM
RE: [PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by Kotlol - 05-17-2022, 07:53 AM
RE: [MERGED PR] Scaling pipe leakage - by TrickyWolfer - 05-21-2022, 09:13 PM