Typhol's (Sol Vader) HoS Application
Usual character name: Sol Vader (Recently)(Previously used to change character names a lot)
BYOND username: Typhol
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Typhol#6914
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Goonstation 3 Roleplay: Morty (Very rarely Goon 1 and Goon 4)

Reason for application:
Security is a job that can either ruin the round for the crew and antagonists or make it more fun and engaging. The HoS similarly plays a huge role in the round and can shift the tide of the game for better or worse very quickly. I personally believe I have the right mindset to be a fair HoS that can help the security department, antagonists and crew have  more fun and enjoyable roleplay sessions. 

The other reason is that I live in AEST which is a time in which I rarely see a HoS on (same time as Cal) so it would be nice to have more HoS's during this timezone. I have also been getting more active in the goon community and can often be seen playing at peak times. 

Lastly, I love the HoS cape and boots... I would do anything to get a chance to wear those regularly.

On a more serious note, I also want to use this thread to get more feedback from the community on improvements I can make and how they think I hold up.

Security experience (300 word minimum): 
I started playing SS13 a while back in 2020, at first I used to hop servers a lot until I found Goonstation. Very quickly after I started playing on Goonstation and learnt the basics, I discovered security. I almost instantly fell in love with it, although, back then I must admit I was a pretty horrible officer but had some nice officers to teach me the ropes on the main server. Then I made the switch to the rp servers and started grinding security like crazy (by crazy I mean unhealthy amounts of 8+ hours a day) to the point where I was addicted. Nowadays I still play security a lot (although I have started playing other jobs and learnt the basics of most other jobs to make a better player overall) and very recently joined the discord and made a character named Sol Vader which I think I would like to keep permanently, as before I was constantly changing character names. I know that playing security more doesn't mean your good at it but I think I have some decent experience and make a good officer. 

Now for my general playstyle as a security officer. I love the security radio and the general fact that security is one of the most communicative departments on the station. I always try to call in what I'm doing and where I am and usually ask my team to check in and make sure they are okay.  The next thing I always keep in mind is that as a security officer I am there to protect the crew and try to make sure they are happy, productive and having fun. I love going around to the different departments and just saying things like, "Hello, how is your shift going" and having a general conversation. I find that this helps build trust between me and the crew while I can also usually find some interesting info which allows me too be more aware during that shift of what's going on. 

Next I would like to talk about antagonists, the driving factors for most rounds! Now I personally love playing antagonist and have learnt a lot about being one. I always try to think to myself if I was an antagonist how would I want security to treat me? Would I want them to throw me into space, take all my traitor gear or burn me for simply being a Ling? Or would I want them to rp the situation out and make a more fun experience for everyone? This is why I always try to RP things out with antagonists as there is no fun in stealing a spies PDA and flash camera 15 minutes into the round, rather it's more interesting to let them slowly build a more exciting and fun roleplay story. I have different roleplay ways of dealing with most antagonists, which I hope allow the antagonists to have fun and do their gimmicks whilst not allowing them to go on a killing rampage. I also usually try and make sure that antagonists and the crew are being treated fairly by my colleagues. 

What advice would you give to other sec players?
  • If you try to talk to someone or want someone to stop and they keep running away, don't just pull out your taser and start shooting them. But first pull out your....... WHISTLE! The whistle is very effective in conveying that you want someone to stop and it's sad to see such a good tool just sitting unused in the pouch. 
  • Next I would like to stress the importance of communications on the radio channel, I suggest highlighting the 135.9 string so it's easier to identify when someone is speaking into the radio. 
  • Go around the station and earn the trust of your crew, this makes the rp in the round a whole lot better while also allowing you to find out more about the round.
  • Use the flash more, it's just seems more appropriate for most situations rather then a officer running around batonning people.
  • Lastly please remember to label your pinpointer (I forget to do this a lot).

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
A couple of days ago we were having a very chill round in security, there was one or two reports of someone biting people but other then that nothing major. I had been sitting front desk for a while so I decided to go on patrol since Aghata was in sec and could help anyone at main desk. So I go to medbay when I see a crew member wearing a gas mask falling constantly while making weird sounds. So I ask them if they are all right, to which they say "I need some blood". So I assume okay sure if they need blood I can ask the doctors. I go to the doctors and they tell me that the crew member is perfectly health and does not need blood. So I go back to them and they say that they need blood still. Then they remove their mask to reveal a horrific zombie looking figure, before telling me that they need blood or they will die. So I radio this in to the security channel at which point Aghata arrives on the scene. Then me and Aghata have a conversation with the crew member, and since they have been pretty nice Aghata volunteers to donate her blood. So ofcourse I do it too and before we know it the entire sec team is donating blood to the thrall. 

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
I think making it that the pinpointer automatically spawns with the player that used the tokens name on it would be great. I keep forgetting to label it...

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Here goes nothing

Secman, Secman always on the watch,
He never runs away when dangers goes up a notch,
Donuts are his lifeline, coffee is his scotch 
Robustness like no one else always on the watch,
Real hero of the station, without a discount
Secman, Secman makes the station proud

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I was banned a couple of months ago for joking about blowing stuff up as a non-antag while also being rude to another player. The ban was done because I had to cryo so the admin could not talk to me, but was lifted after I appealed. Anyways the player and I are now chill and that was just a one off very bad round from me. 

Appeal: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=16903

Messages In This Thread
Typhol's (Sol Vader) HoS Application - by Typhol - 10-13-2021, 06:21 AM