Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to teach a friend the basics?
Question 
So I have a friend who may or may not try the game (though he's not entirely convinced, so this is all just hypothetical). Now my question would be: What's the best way to introduce him and teach him the basics? Saying "here, watch these ten tutorial videos" doesn't sound very attractive; I know many of us, me included, started out exactly like that, but giving some hands-on teaching would probably be more effective and of course, fun.

Which brings me to the other option: playing together. Except, admins aren't exactly fans of metagaming (and rightfully so) and one would have to be very careful not to break any rules that way, most noteably sharing any IC infos the other shouldn't have. Alternatively, one would ahve to not use metacomms, only resorting to ingame chat and LOOC. If an admin sees this, I would be grateful to get an opinion on metagaming in regards to teaching new players.

So I'm curious: Do you have any friends you introduced to the game, or perhaps you were the one introduced, and if so, how did you learn/teach the basics? (to the point that you/they knew the game enough to just check the wiki or ask a mentor if you needed to know about something/learn a new job etc.) Any suggestions to people who have this exact issue (again, in my case this is all hypothetical but it would be good to know for the future)

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Best way to teach a friend the basics? - by Wora - 10-08-2021, 09:32 AM