Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do developers hate port a sci?
> it feels more and more like they don't actually want people doing telescience, which is sad saying how amazing exploring telesci can be.
I'm certain you know that to be untrue. It's more like they're trying to avoid people cheesing it. You lose or mess up, try again next round.

In some zones as you may know, there are gauntlet-like obstacles. if you can send one person across successfully, they can teleport the entire team across.
Party got split up? Portasci. Left something back at station? Portasci. Someone died and got cloned? No problem, Portasci them back!

While this means players may complete their journey, this may not have been the intended means of completing them on part of the devs.
Struggling to get across, being forced to make tough decisions, losing a team member, all of that adds to the adventure. Cheesing it is just silly.

As you mentioned, Everyone now has a GPS program which can find their coords and be fed back to telesci to teleport you back.
While not as convenient as the old Port-a-sci, again, I think they want to avoid players cheesing things like that.

Aside from Azones, if a traitor builds an elaborate trap teleporting people off-station or into another z-level, guess what?
No worries everyone, AI is going to send me the telesci program and we'll be back home before you can say "Don't let the clown come back!"

Moreover, I heavily agree with making the telesci remote sparse for anyone aside from RD. It's theirs.[/] Whether they use it a little or a lot, [i]it doesn't belong to you.

>my suggestion is that you make the telepad at the start of each azone capable of teleporting you back to the station
This is the only thing I find agreeable, and even then I'm not certain if the Devs would.
Maybe a program to "Activate" the teleporter remotely, assuming it's still locked onto those coords.
This way you can still get back without having to scream for help over the radio.

Messages In This Thread
why do developers hate port a sci? - by zay25325 - 08-15-2021, 12:08 PM
RE: why do developers hate port a sci? - by Cal - 08-15-2021, 01:33 PM
RE: why do developers hate port a sci? - by Chayot - 08-15-2021, 03:03 PM