Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
disagreements about some recent balance changes
Yea, im taking a break. Yea, it has everything to do with recent changes. Ive been playing goon for about a year, and up until 2021, there was just constant new features, new things, new content. However, since, well, it feels like since the original atmos agent b nerf, was that in march? Nothing new, content wise has been started, and the only thing finished, was podwars. Yea, theres tons of small minor things, but nothing new since chickens. 

Anyways, regardless, every time I look at the changelog, I find myself going, "why!". For months now, its felt as if every coder has their own plan of the game, and theyre all trying to push their own plan. But this game is far too large for one person to plan out everything. I thought the town hall would provide insight to where the game was headed, but the only thing I got from the town hall was that, well, nothing was planned. The other thing the changelog shows is that, every balance change is a removal of some sort. The game is being balanced by the removal of content versus new counters being created. For a game like this, thats not neccesarily a bad thing, but this has been going on for months, and it feels really bad.

As Millicent said earlier, Lots of these changes are without player approval, or even a reason. For example, one of the biggest changes, the hellburn changes back in march~, I posted this poll over a week ago.

the image wont work so im just going to link the thread/poll: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=16736

Over 2/3's of the people who voted don't like the changes. I thought there would be some insight to where the engine was headed when I posted this, but not one admin/coder replied. Azrun, replied, that was nice, but nothing from the actual devs. It feels like theres been alot of silence on lots of changes recently, and even when most of the community doesnt like a change, nothing gets reverted. Im not saying this change in particular needs to be reverted, but when engineering has had a major change, with lots of flaws after, and those don't get fixed, and its been.. 4? 5? months?.. thats not good.

Ive seen alot, that its "the devs game" and we're subject to whatever. That is 100% true. it IS your game, but goonstation is known for its community. The community should have some say into changes that have been made. youll also hear that goonstation has changed since its creation. Lots of things goon used to do doesnt happen anymore. Since goon went open source, the devteam has basically changed. You often hear people say, "We're more transparent then ever". Thats true, cant hide much when open source, but trying to do things how the old team did stuff when theres a completely new team is just not working. Im not here to complain about the admin team, I think all of you are amazing. However, theres no direction for goonstation, no plan. The old team also had a bit more structure. Wizards, had more say, and were older admins. Now, its just, when someone becomes an admin they join the group that can merge PR's. I joined TG's discord, and there are tons of people on the devteam. There are also tons of different ranks, too. Bee has like, 4? 5? different admin roles too. Theres no leadership on goon, and anything needs leadership to survive.

With no direction, and a bunch of content removal, it feels like the only direction goons going is down. Its a fun game. But logging on each day and seeing removals without much clarification doesnt feel good. You guys say you're being more transparent then ever, and thats true, but your completely different people then before, the "structure" is gone, and you have the community submitting PR's too. In some ways, the transparancy is great. In others, PR's pushed without feedback, Lack of taking feedback, and lack of reaction to feedback. It looks like alot of these changes get made, then abandoned for further updates.

I love you guys, I do. But, there needs to be a plan, a direction that goons heading. Theres alot of struggles in a community this big too. Everyone has differing opinions on things. Hell, theres even two different communities, RP and main. Theres not going to be a split codebase, yes, but goon RP has stricter rules. A change that benifits RP doesnt always benifit main, and vise versa. However, if something bad is being abused on RP, that is a rules issue, not a code issue, but players dont have much say into the rules, only the code. 

Im sort of just rambling my thoughts into this post. Theres alot I didnt cover, but, I got my main points across.

Oh god the image 1 second

Messages In This Thread
RE: disagreements about some recent balance changes - by Froggit_Dogget - 07-15-2021, 03:10 PM