Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocktail Suggestions Megathread!
So a little while back I decided to get some coding experience with BYOND for laffs. I wanted to do something simple at first, something that had a lot of examples already, so I could learn how to not ruin everything forever. Looking through the public release code, I saw a bunch of chemical recipes, and realized that I could use this opportunity to actually fix a problem that'd bugged me for a long time: the fact that bartenders couldn't mix cocktails for shit.

So, I made a bunch of cocktails with some new ingredients, and the public yelled at me for forgetting something as simple as gin and tonic and then rejoiced. There were a lot of follow-up suggestions, though, and a lot were interesting enough that I wanted to implement them, but that'd probably lead to an endless chain of suggestions, implementations, more suggestions, and so on until the proper coders rip my head off out of frustration. This thread's here to solve that problem! I'll keep it open until it dies out, we reach Too Many Cocktails, or the suggestions stop being good. Until then, feel free to suggest cocktails, liquors, and ingredients the barman should be able to play with.

A few ground rules/notes:

Most cocktails right now do not have any special effects beyond getting you various levels of drunk. The capability is there to give cocktails special effects, but we've been using it sparingly so far. There is a perpetually-kicked-around Favorite Food/Drink system in the works that might tie into cocktails later, though.

Please don't suggest things that would require an entire liquor cabinet and several dozen new ingredients to implement. Try to work off the ones we have already, or ingredients that, if added, would allow for a lot of new cocktails on their own (like tonic water).

I can't really guarantee everything suggested in here will be implemented. I don't know how much I can add before it becomes sprawling/unnecessary, some cocktails may be a bitch and a half to implement together because of how reagent combinations work, and some suggestions may just be really dumb.

Most cocktails I've been coding in are well established real-world ones, but a few have been references and other goofy shit. I think a smaller amount of more oddball cocktails makes them funnier and more interesting, but feel free to suggest them because I've already seen some great ones like Gin and Chronic.

That's it. Go nuts! [Image: Ct5T8wT.gif]

Messages In This Thread