HoS Application Tanner Mirabel
Usual character name:Tanner Mirabel
BYOND username:Clee-clee
Discord username (if you are on our discord): clee_saan#7847
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play:Morty

Reason for application:The boots, the cape, the hat, the spaghetti, Silvester... Basically the roleplay opportunities. Also the ability to deal with an AI problem when other heads are unavailable

Security experience (300 word minimum): I played sec on and off, and I feel like I've had several plateaus, and that I'm finally at a point where I'm comfortable with the role and feel like I do a good job with it. The most important epiphany I've had with sec is that my job isn't to stop antagonists. My job is to play cat and mouse with them. I shouldn't prevent a traitor from doing his gimmick, I should however be an obstacle that they can overcome, as a part of their story. It's funnier for them, and it's also funnier for me because I get to arrest them several times instead of just once. So, if an antag lies to me, Tanner will believe them most of the time! He might also forget to confiscate some of your more harmless traitor gear.

The second most important part of sec is that it needs to be a team effort. I always tell people on the radio at the start of a shift "the more we talk, the better we are". Of course that also means labeling the baton trackers, and keeping the disks in sec. But it also means caring for each other, checking on each other. Telling other people when you're responding to a call on the radio to avoid everyone crowding the same place, and backing off when another sec is already dealing with the situation. Few things are more annoying than making an arrest and having the whole department rushing in and butting in your interrogation (not to mention counterproductive). This is a fine line, because having backup is good, having another sec to do bad cop good cop with is good, but having nobody patrolling because everyone is helping with the one arrest isn't.

Another thing I came to understand when playing sec is that it's better to let the bad guy go than to get killed or knocked unconscious or lose equipment while trying. Sec equipement is very powerful, and I don't want to gimp my department mates by giving the antag a stun baton and sec access. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? Think before you act. As sec you're held to a high degree of scrutiny from the rest of the crew, so you want to understand what happens before you act. This means talking to people, and this means listening to them. It is also important to not punish things for jokes or pranks that are harmless. Also keep that baton in your belt unless you are currently using it. Disarm intent is a b*tch
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) Arresting and interrogating someone who was visibly a new player and was self antagging. We had a long chat, in character, about their future with Nanotrasen, how space youtube protrays life on the space station in a certain way that isn't actually how it really is. How he can't just murder people, that may be how it happens on space youtube, but in real space life he'll get banned from nanotrasen. That character is still around today. Their justification for why they had to attempt to kill the janitor was also hilarious. They had a fork, they figured they should use it to kill someone, and the bar was covered in blood, so they thought, hey, nobody's going to notice me murdering anyone, blood on top of blood, nobody's going to notice. And then the janitor starts cleaning the blood, so they think "I can't let that happen! This'll make murder much harder", and then figure they can kill two birds with one stone by killing the janitor. Of course the janitor robusts them, and I make the arrest. They were really proud of their plan, too.
    Another one was getting arrested after stealing the freeform module, and managing to talk my way out of being searched, I ended up walking out of the brig after my sentence with my objective still in the backpack.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? I think making security locked behind six hours of sec ass playtime was a really good decision
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. Actually not much difference, except that I won't feel bad for hogging the secmate remote. I like spending time in sec as sec, because you very rarely randomly stumble onto crime while walking around, and people will likely look for you in sec, so there should be someone to answer the door. I also patrol the station, but it's more to get a feel for what's happenning and talk to people on the station. If you're needed somewhere, you usually hear about it on the radio and can just get there in a flash.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    My litterature teacher in high school once told me I was a litteral student, not a litterature student. I tried to come up with a poem, nothing came...
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? I never had a trial as sec, I think that would be very fun. I've recently started giving swirlies instead of a simple minute in the brig, makes for a much more fun RP moment, the person on the recieving end usually goes along with it and we both end up having fun
  • Draw a picture!
    HoS Beehttps://imgur.com/kqgSLVkHoS Bee
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):none

Messages In This Thread
HoS Application Tanner Mirabel - by clee - 05-28-2021, 06:38 AM
RE: HoS Application Tanner Mirabel - by Cal - 06-01-2021, 11:28 AM
RE: HoS Application Tanner Mirabel - by Tiresoup - 06-01-2021, 02:41 PM
RE: HoS Application Tanner Mirabel - by clee - 06-10-2021, 04:01 AM
RE: HoS Application Tanner Mirabel - by Caro - 08-18-2021, 03:24 PM