Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[MERGED PR] Adds Captains Space Helmet, Makes the Captain's Hat and Gas Mask No Lo...
As I responded to in the github comments already, I don't actually think this is a very significant hit to player expression, and I *do* think the (actually minor) hit to self-expression is totally worth the gains to visual consistency, and *game balance*. Requiring players to wear a space suit when they're exposed to a vacuum to me just Makes Sense, and I think objects visually projecting their use-case and purpose isn't minor at all, it's imo very valuable to have a game that's visually coherent. I think we expect players to be able to easily notice things like 'oh so-and-so isn't wearing a spacesuit in space' and having items that don't make any sense to be space gear ruins that entire system and generally degrades the trust a given player has in our game's ability to communicate things visually. 

Like I've said, not being particularly visually unique is *the entire aesthetic* of space suits, and you don't have to wear a spacesuit all the time, the situations where you do are almost entirely player-created, and the shift from a crew wearing interesting 'regular clothes' to uniform space suits is interesting and contributes to the tone of a vented space station. You don't get the same amount of expression in specific situations, sure, but it's worth it overall imho.

I also massively disagree that 'having freedom to wear clothing items you want and not be punished for picking style over function' is a core tenant of our game at all. If anything it's been the opposite; see why we haven't made regular clown and mime masks into internals. If your hats and hair showing is valuable enough for you to not want to put on a space suit in a vented space station, you should have to play around that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Adds Captains Space Helmet, Makes the Captain's Hat and Gas Mask No Longer Sp... - by Flaborized - 05-06-2021, 03:52 PM